Stitch Camp (Storey Publishing, 2017) by Nicole Blum and Catherine Newman is specifically for kids and tweens who want to dive into the DIY world. With a collection of hands-on crafts ranging from sewing to felting, Stitch Camp takes the work out of learning a new skill and provides kids with ways to make their own wearables and gifts. For the budding or avid sewer, learn how to make a mason jar sewing kit, complete with a handmade pincushion that tops it all.
• 1 mason jar (the kind with a two-piece lid)
• Hot-glue gun
• Polyester stuffing
• Sewing supplies to store in the jar
1. Cut a fabric circle that’s about 1 inch bigger all around than the lid of a mason jar.
2. Separate the lid insert from the ring, and wrap the fabric around the lid insert. Make a partial ring of hot glue around the bottom edge of the lid insert, leaving a few inches glue-less. Carefully press the fabric onto the glue to secure it.
3. Stuff polyester filling into the unglued opening until the fabric feels taut and cushiony, then finish gluing the fabric to the bottom.
4. Reattach the ring and screw it onto the jar. (Add a dab or two of hot glue to the underside of the ring if the pincushion seems inclined to fall out when you unscrew it.)
5. Now fill the jar with tiny scissors, thread, buttons, and safety pins — and stick your straight pins and needles in the top!
Excerpted from Stitch Camp, © by Nicole Blum and Catherine Newman, photography by © Margaret Lampert, used with permission from Storey Publishing.
Whether you want to learn how to grow and raise your own food, build your own root cellar, or create a green dream home, come out and learn everything you need to know — and then some!LEARN MORE
At MOTHER EARTH NEWS, we are dedicated to conserving our planet's natural resources while helping you conserve your financial resources. You'll find tips for slashing heating bills, growing fresh, natural produce at home, and more. That's why we want you to save money and trees by subscribing through our earth-friendly automatic renewal savings plan. By paying with a credit card, you save an additional $5 and get 6 issues of MOTHER EARTH NEWS for only $12.95 (USA only).
You may also use the Bill Me option and pay $17.95 for 6 issues.