Our June/July issue featured lots of egg love, including praise for pastured eggs from many chefs around the country. Here, Ken Baker, chef-owner of Pachamamas in Lawrence, Kan., shares his favorite way to use fresh, pastured eggs.
Hominy Spoon Bread
Half a small red onion, diced
2 1/2 cups prepared hominy
1/2 ounce unsalted butter
1 tbsp sugar
3/4 tsp cayenne
3/4 tbsp black pepper
2 tsp kosher salt
1 quart milk
1 quart heavy cream
4 cups corn meal
4 egg yolks
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
4 egg whites
1. In a pot over medium heat, sweat peppers, onions and chilies in butter.
2. Add spices and stir to incorporate.
3. Add milk and cream. Bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat. Slowly whisk in corn meal. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes or until it thickens.
5. Remove from heat.
6. In a mixing bowl, whisk together egg yolks and buttermilk.
7. Temper yolk mixture and add back to base.
8. Completely cool corn meal mixture in the refrigerator.
9. Remove from refrigerator and break into small pieces. Leave at room temperature.
10. Whip egg whites to soft peaks. Fold into corn meal mixture and place in a baking dish.
11. Bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit or until golden brown.