Our June/July issue featured lots of egg love, including praise for pastured eggs from many chefs around the country. Here, Mark Newsome of the Joshua Wilton House in Harrisonburg, Va., shares his favorite way to use fresh eggs.
- 3/4 cup egg whites
- 3 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour*
- 3 drops almond extract
- 8 ounces dark coating chocolate
- Combine sugar, coconut and flour in bowl. Add extract to the egg whites and add to the coconut mix until blended.
- Adjust with more coconut until mixture is firm enough to hold its shape being scooped into a ball.
- Scoop out small rounds (2-tbsp size) and place on parchment paper. Allow to rest 20 minutes.
- Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit until lightly browned, about 8 minutes.
- Rotate the pan and bake another 6 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool.
- Melt the coating chocolate and dip the macaroon in the chocolate. Allow to firm up in fridge then keep stored in an airtight container.
*For gluten-free macaroons, replace the flour with corn starch.