Celebrate simple, modern and functional designs with DIY Furniture 2 (Laurence King Publishing, 2014). In his latest book, Christopher Stuart offers thirty new designs by leading and up-and-coming designers. Both conceptual and contemporary projects include diagrams and easy to follow instructions. In the following excerpt from the “Bedroom" section, plumbing parts are used to make a DIY clothes rack.
Purchase this book from the MOTHER EARTH NEWS store: DIY Furniture 2.
This is a new version of the standard clothing rack, made out of basic plumbing parts. The design has been kept as easy and uncomplicated as possible—it is essentially just a frame that leans against the wall.
The weight of the clothes pushes the rack against the wall and makes it sturdy, while the simplicity of the design also makes it really easy to deconstruct and move around.
You will need:
Plumbing tube, 7/8 inch diameter, 160 inches long
Plumbing tube, 7/8 inch diameter, 80 inches long
Four 3-way joints for plumbing tubes
Roll of strong plastic tape
1. Cut the 7⁄8 inch-diameter plumbing tube to the following lengths:
2. Put the long tubes against the wall at an incline, with the bottom approximately 30 inches away from the wall.
3. Position a hanger at a height where it doesn’t touch the wall and mark this spot on the tube (see Fig. 1). This is where the horizontal tube (part B) will be located.
4. Put a piece of strong tape around the ends of the horizontal tubes (parts B) before inserting into three-way joints (parts C) to prevent them from sliding.
Once all four joints have been placed, finish assembling the rack by connecting the long tubes with the short horizontal ones in between (see Fig. 2).
5. Lean the rack against the wall, hang up your clothes, and enjoy! Optionally, two screws can be put into the floor where the tubes meet the ground so as to fix them in position.
Want more simple designs from DIY Furniture 2? For an easy seating option check out Make a 3-Legged Stool.
This excerpt has been reprinted with permission from DIY Furniture 2: A Step-by-Step Guide by Christopher Stuart and published by Laurence King Publishing, 2014. Purchase this book from our store: DIY Furniture 2.
Whether you want to learn how to grow and raise your own food, build your own root cellar, or create a green dream home, come out and learn everything you need to know — and then some!LEARN MORE
At MOTHER EARTH NEWS, we are dedicated to conserving our planet's natural resources while helping you conserve your financial resources. You'll find tips for slashing heating bills, growing fresh, natural produce at home, and more. That's why we want you to save money and trees by subscribing through our earth-friendly automatic renewal savings plan. By paying with a credit card, you save an additional $5 and get 6 issues of MOTHER EARTH NEWS for only $12.95 (USA only).
You may also use the Bill Me option and pay $17.95 for 6 issues.