Real Food

Savor the flavors of everyday real food, fresh from the garden or stored on your pantry shelves.

5-Ingredient 5-Minute Homemade Mayo

8/6/2014 2:15:00 PM

Tags: mayonnaise, homemade condients, Washington, Lyndsay Dawson Mynatt

I haven’t always been a fan of mayonnaise. The prolonged shelf life and illegible ingredients are creepy and downright disturbing. My feelings started to change when I discovered how to make it with five ingredients (take that warehouse mayonnaise containers), in less than five minutes! My world of condiment consumption has been revolutionized thanks to ascertaining the knowledge of emulsion.

Emulsion is the art of blending two different liquids that normally do not mix. In this instance, eggs and oil for mayonnaise. Emulsifying is tricky. I have had several disasters before mastering the delicate procedure. To my knowledge, there are three ways to emulsify eggs and oil to create mayonnaise. One is by hand. I have not tried this. It requires much more patience than I possess, and very strong wrists, as the oil must be stirred vigorously into the egg mixture. The second is with a food processor, and the third with a blender. Personally, I use a Vitamix for quick performance, though this recipe may be used with other blenders or food processors.

Homemade Mayo Ingredients

Mayo Ingredients

3 eggs
1/2 tspsalt
1/2 tspmustard
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 1/2 cups oil

That’s it. The steps are simple. First, add three eggs to the blender, along with ½ tsp salt, ½ tsp dijon mustard, and ¼ cup of lemon juice. Next comes the fun part! If using a Vitamix, be on your toes. Any other blender or food processor is a bit more forgiving, but the friction heating of the Vitamix can destroy your emulsifying efforts in a blink of the eye. Believe me, it’s frustrating! Steadily turn the speed on, going from low all the way to high. While the motor continues to run, dribble the oil very slowly into the egg mixture. You will need 1-1/2 cups of oil. My favorite is cold-pressed Safflower Oil, but when I’m feeling experimental I will use other blends such as olive oil or Avocado oil, as pictured. As the liquid thickens, you may pour at a faster rate. Once the motor slogs, dump the rest of the oil in as fast as possible and shut off the machine. Look inside. You should have a creamy mixture with streaks of oil on the surface. Carefully spoon the mayonnaise into a jar, scraping down all the sides and around the blades, stirring in the remaining oil. Don’t worry if it is a little runny, the mayonnaise thickens as it cools in the fridge.

Surprisingly, we (family of 2) normally consume the two cups of mayonnaise within a month, before it goes bad.  Fuzzy greenish to grey mold growing on the surface is a good indication of expiration.

Below you will find a few tips for troubleshooting as well as a disclaimer on using raw eggs.

Troubleshooting final product

If liquids are overly mixed, they will not reform into a unified blend. You will know if this has happened if you have a yellowish liquid with white chunks. Don’t distress. Use this mix as a base for cold pasta salads and start over.  Third time is a charm. You will need a couple of practice rounds to get the hang of pouring the oil. You must start the pour VERY slow.Then increase the rate as the liquids are blending. As I stated earlier, the Vitamix can be especially challenging.

Disclaimer

Be mindful of your source of eggs, as you are consuming a raw product. If this is a concern, pasteurize the eggs before adding them to the blender. To pasteurize, place whole eggs in a saucepan of water.  Raise the temperature to 140 degrees Fahrenheit for 3 minutes; do not go above 142 degrees. Remove the eggs and rinse thoroughly with cold water. I only use the freshest eggs, 100 feet from the nesting box to my kitchen, so I do not bother with the pasteurization. Choose your risks wisely.

Goodbye store-bought mayonnaise. Hello goodness.

Mayors Form Green School Alliance

Mayors from across the country have created an alliance to facilitate green buildings for K-12 schoo...

Essential Oils on the Homestead

Therapeutic grade essential oils have a tonne of uses on the homestead - here's how we've used them ...

New Mayo Clinic Book Promotes Natural Healing

The Mayo Clinic Book of Home Remedies offers scientific backing to herbal and natural medicine.

Using A Piteba Oil Press

Learn about using the Piteba to press your own homegrown oil.

guestsm
8/30/2014 7:59:05 PM
For the love of all things healthy, please read this, author & editor: http://www.grammarerrors.com/punctuation/commas-in-direct-address/

Ej Heinrich
8/23/2014 8:16:44 AM
Thank you for the recipe. I have given up mayo because of the canola oil and/or soybean oil not to mention the other garbage in it.

hazyhollow
8/18/2014 10:25:24 PM
For those that cannot use eggs because they are acidic, I will mention that Duck Eggs are alkaline. This recipe works with Duck eggs also. But remember that Duck eggs are larger so you will only need 2 small or 1 Extra Large egg.

GS
8/18/2014 2:43:50 PM
What size eggs were used in this recipe? My chickens lay small eggs and I'd need to know how many to use. Thanks, Gail

stargazer
8/18/2014 1:19:03 PM
Does anyone have an eggless version of this? We can't eat eggs, and the eggless mayo in stores - when you can find it - is very expensive. We use apple sauce in baking, but that wouldn't work for mayo! Flax seed probably wouldn't provide the right texture; it seems to be best in cooked recipes.

CookieWoman
8/18/2014 8:31:00 AM
I think this is a great way to get the mayo at home where you don't have to go to the store to buy it so when you run out you just make some more!! But one thing is the eggs eggs are very expensive plus,I found a milk mayo on the internet with no eggs!I might make yours but then again i might make the other one I'm Not Sure Yet!!! Thanks For The Recipe! God Bless You, CookieWoman...

SHERIF
8/10/2014 9:22:40 AM
I've found a stick blender the easiest way to make mayo. Use the container that it comes with. I put in eggs first, then mustard, lemon juice, then salt, then oil. Takes about 30 seconds - move the stick up and down slowly - and comes out perfect every time. Also I use a smaller recipe, cause we don't go through that much. 1 egg, 1 yolk, tsp mustard, tlb lemon juice, pinch salt, 3/4 cup oil. It's the only mayo we use anymore. :-)