Stina’s Apple Cake Recipe is a delicious vegetarian dessert using all natural ingredients.
You won't believe how good this is.
2 big apples
2 tsp cinnamon
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup butter (1/4 pound)
3/4 cup honey
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1. Slice the apples and mix them with the cinnamon. Set aside.
2. Mix the flour and baking soda. Using 2 forks or a pastry blender, cut the butter into the flour until the butter is in small pieces and evenly mixed.
3. Make a well in the center of the flour and butter, and in the well, mix the honey, buttermilk and vanilla. Mix them into the flour and butter, stirring just enough to combine.
4. Butter a 9-inch cast-iron frying pan, or a 9-inch, round, deep cake pan. Put in some batter, then a layer of apples, then more batter. Continue layering until everything is used up. End with batter on top. (Fill the pan only two-thirds full. If you have extra batter and apples, bake them in another pan.)
5. Bake in a 350 degrees Fahrenheit oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until the center of the cake is firm.
Yield: One 9-inch round cake
From Wings of Life: Vegetarian Cookery by Julie Jordan, copyright 1976 by the author and reprinted with the permission of The Crossing Press, Trumansburg, New York 14886.
Read more about homemade vegetarian desserts: Using Natural Baking Ingredients to Create Healthy Vegetarian Desserts.
Whether you want to learn how to grow and raise your own food, build your own root cellar, or create a green dream home, come out and learn everything you need to know — and then some!LEARN MORE
At MOTHER EARTH NEWS, we are dedicated to conserving our planet's natural resources while helping you conserve your financial resources. You'll find tips for slashing heating bills, growing fresh, natural produce at home, and more. That's why we want you to save money and trees by subscribing through our earth-friendly automatic renewal savings plan. By paying with a credit card, you save an additional $5 and get 6 issues of MOTHER EARTH NEWS for only $12.95 (USA only).
You may also use the Bill Me option and pay $17.95 for 6 issues.