- 150g/5 1/4 oz honey
- 150g/ 3/4 cup soft brown sugar
- 150g/ 2/3 cup butter
- 4 eggs
- 400g/3 cups plain/all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda/ baking soda
- 4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 tsp ground cloves
- 200g/7oz candied mixed peel
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius/350 degrees Fahrenheit/gas mark 4.
- Gently melt the honey, sugar and butter in a saucepan. Leave the mixture to cool a little, then beat in the eggs one by one. In a separate large bowl, sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and spices, then stir this into the honey mixture and add the mixed peel.
- Divide the batter between mini tart tins, each 8-9cm/3-3 1/2 in in diameter, so that it lies about 1cm/ 3/8 in deep (you will probably have to cook these in batches). Bake for 20-25 minutes, then leave to cool on a wire rack while you cook the rest.
Baking with honey and spices goes back centuries in Scandinavia. These are full of flavor and become even better as the days go by; they can last for 2-3 weeks! Black tea and honey bombs, served toasted with butter, are a match made in heaven.
Also from Scandi Bites:
Recipes excerpted with permission from Scandi Bites: 60 Recipes for Sweet Treats, Party Food and Other Little Scandinavian Snacks by Trine Hahnemann, published by Quadrille, October 2019, RRP $19.99 Hardcover.