I have experimented a lot with making candy bars from dried fruit and have loved raw bars for years. This is my naturally vegan, gluten-free recipe that makes a great, healthy snack.
- 140g/1 cup skin-on almonds
- 120g/1 cup raisins
- 275g/2 cups dates, stoned
- 50g/1 3/4 oz coconut oil
- 50g/1/2 cup cacao powder
- 50ml/scant 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla powder or natural vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 100g/3 1/2 oz desiccated/shredded coconut, to coat
- Grind the almonds to a powder in a food processor.
- Add all the ingredients except the coconut to a food processor and process to a smooth paste. Remove from the processor and form into small squares by hand. You should get about 30 bars. Roll in the desiccated coconut to serve. They will keep in the refrigerator for 2-3 weeks.
Also from Scandi Bites:
Recipes excerpted with permission from Scandi Bites: 60 Recipes for Sweet Treats, Party Food and Other Little Scandinavian Snacks by Trine Hahnemann, published by Quadrille, October 2019, RRP $19.99 Hardcover.