Growing Gluten-Free Grains in the Garden

| 4/10/2011 6:05:40 AM

Tags: gluten-free grains, gardening, Wendy Gregory Kaho,

At a recent organic and local food conference I learned about small grain growing and the idea of trying to grow grains in my garden had me searching for advice on the Web. I discovered fellow gluten-free blogger, Linda Simon had not only tried it, she'd shared her experience and photos. I asked Linda to join me here to give other gluten-free gardeners advice on what worked from planting, to harvesting,  to eating her homegrown, gluten-free grains:

Do you know anyone else who has grown any gluten free grains in their backyard garden? No? Neither did we.

That didn’t stop us. In 2009 we planted amaranth, sorghum, teff, and flax. There were some successes and some we will not repeat.

Even though we have not planted most of these again, we enjoyed trying them. We knew our grains were organic and they were not contaminated with wheat.

meagan raindrop mcaleese
2/22/2013 1:59:24 AM

I am trying all 4 of these and several more in Canada Zone 3 this year. But I have a greenhouse and a hoophouse and I work in a high rise with floor to ceiling windows to germinate things. And I figure why not. Anyhow I wanted to let you know that when looking up sorghum syrop mills, supposedly manual clothes ringers work well. Lehmans has a good one. I'm going to try squeezing mine when I harvest it!Loved your article. Thanks, Meagan

melissa, glutenfreeforgood
4/18/2011 8:57:43 PM

Wow, I loved reading this post. I find farming and gardening incredibly interesting, even though I've pretty much given up on actually growing anything other than a few herbs and tomatoes. FYI, the word "teff" means "lost" in the Amharic language of Ethiopia because the grain is so small (as Linda describes) that it blows away and is lost. Great stuff here at Mother Earth News and I'm thrilled they've added a gluten-free feature to the site. Thanks! Melissa

cheryl harris
4/11/2011 11:24:44 PM

Thanks for the introduction to Linda! Love the garden pictures too. I grew a few grains because I was curious. I grew amaranth (hated it, it choked my tomatoes because it was so big!) and I grow buckwheat every year, which I love because it keeps me from mulching. I've tried corn 3X, too, but that doesn't quite count. If we move somewhere big enough I'll try some of the others.

linda simon
4/11/2011 10:43:13 PM

Kim and Shirley, *blush* thanks for the kind comments.

kim (cook it allergy free)
4/11/2011 12:50:14 PM

Wow! This is fascinating. My garden is going wild with all of the vegetables and greens we have planted right now (we have had a perfect spring here), but I have wondered about grains. I am not sure how our dry climate would be for the grains, but I am tempted to give them a go. Thanks for sharing your experiences!!

shirley @ gfe
4/11/2011 11:48:45 AM

What a nice surprise to see Linda guest posting here today! She's a delight. :-) I love all her photos and the experience she has shared. Wow on her and her husband's growings skills! It's good to know what will or will not work in the home garden. I've always wondered about teff and I chuckled over the ground squirrel getting his fill! Two reasons we can't have a garden--woods and an abundance of squirrels--but I do love reading about others' gardening adventures! Shirley

mother earth news fair

MOTHER EARTH NEWS FAIR

Oct. 21-22, 2017
Topeka, KS.

More than 150 workshops, great deals from more than 200 exhibitors, off-stage demos, inspirational keynotes, and great food!

LEARN MORE