Cocoa Bean Mulch Dangerous to Dogs


| 12/10/2008 10:34:00 AM


Dog
MONIQUE RODRIGUEZ/ISTOCKPHOTO

Beware of cocoa bean mulch. The mulch is a byproduct of chocolate production and is sold for garden beds. However, the chocolaty smell of the mulch is attractive to dogs, that sometimes eat it. The mulch contains a chemical called theobromine, which is poisonous to dogs.

Even if you don’t own a dog, this product is probably not something you would want to use in any location where dogs might pass by.

The mulch causes gastrointestinal upset when dogs consume it at low doses. At high doses, it can cause gastrointestinal obstruction, tachycardia, muscle tremors and seizures. If your dog eats this mulch, immediately contact your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (1-888-426-4435).





Subscribe Today - Pay Now & Save 64% Off the Cover Price

Money-Saving Tips in Every Issue!

Mother Earth NewsAt MOTHER EARTH NEWS, we are dedicated to conserving our planet's natural resources while helping you conserve your financial resources. You'll find tips for slashing heating bills, growing fresh, natural produce at home, and more. That's why we want you to save money and trees by subscribing through our earth-friendly automatic renewal savings plan. By paying with a credit card, you save an additional $5 and get 6 issues of MOTHER EARTH NEWS for only $12.95 (USA only).

You may also use the Bill Me option and pay $17.95 for 6 issues.

Canadian Subscribers - Click Here
International Subscribers - Click Here
Canadian subscriptions: 1 year (includes postage & GST).


Facebook Pinterest Instagram YouTube Twitter flipboard

Free Product Information Classifieds Newsletters