2012 Green Car Buyer’s Guide, Fisker
2012 model year highlight from Fisker: the Karma.
GUIDE TO GREEN CARS, Summer 2012
Compiled by Megan E. Phelps, John Rockhold,
Hannah Kincaid, Emily Glover,
Bradley Berman and Zach McDonald
See “What the Numbers Mean” in The Ultimate Green Car Buyer’s Guide, 2012 for a full description of the metrics we collected for each model.
Plug-In Hybrid, Sedan
Price Range: $95,900 – $108,900
Combined MPGe: 52
Annual Fuel Cost: N/A
Air Pollution Score: N/A
Greenhouse Gas Score: N/A
ACEEE Green Score and Class Ranking: N/A
Safety Ratings: N/A
Space: 95.7 cu. ft. p.v./seats 4
Drive Score: 5
Similar Used: New for 2012
Good to Know:
- This car is marked by excess — 400 horsepower and a bloated 5,300 pounds of weight. The result is a disappointing 52-mpge rating when running on electricity and a sad 20-mpg rating after the battery is depleted.
- The electric-only range of the car is estimated at 50 miles.
- Critics say that the Karma is more of a niche automotive curiosity than a legitimate vehicle.
- The company’s path from concept car to production vehicle has been bumpy, with multiple delays, technical glitches and price increases.
- Technical problems have continued even after delivery to media reviewers and first customers.
- A pending grant of half a billion dollars in federal funds has put Fisker Automotive under the media microscope.
- The first drivers have complained about a loud whine from the electric motor.
- The Karma is offered with an option for an “Eco-Chic” interior, with a liberal use of bamboo and natural fabrics.
What the Press Says:
- “Imagine a quicker and more luxurious Chevy Volt and you won’t be far off.” — Car and Driver
- “The bottom line is that the Fisker Karma is a rolling dream machine for anyone who wants something very different that works and drives exceptionally well for any company’s first go at it all.” — Autoblog
- “The Karma is a beautiful and highly dramatic automobile, unlike anything else on the road today and yet very much like dozens of the most beloved sports cars of the past.” — Automobile
More 2012 green cars: Find details about many more green cars from other automakers in The Ultimate Green Car Buyer’s Guide, 2012.
Photo from Fisker