2012 Green Car Buyer’s Guide, Audi
2012 model year highlight from Audi: the A3 TDI.
GUIDE TO GREEN CARS, Summer 2012
Compiled by Megan E. Phelps, John Rockhold,
Hannah Kincaid, Emily Glover,
Bradley Berman and Zach McDonald
See “What the Numbers Mean” in The Ultimate Green Car Buyer’s Guide, 2012 for a full description of the metrics we collected for each model.
Audi A3 TDI
Price Range: $31,100 – $33,100
City/Hwy/Combined MPG: 30/42/34
Annual Fuel Cost: $1,800
Air Pollution Score: 5
Greenhouse Gas Score: 7
ACEEE Green Score and Class Ranking: 48/Superior
Safety Ratings: IIHS Top Safety Pick; N/A
Space: 89 cu. ft. p.v./seats 5
Drive Score: 5
Similar Used: 2011
Good to Know:
- The A3 TDI was named 2010 Green Car of the Year by Green Car Journal.
- Combined fuel economy for the diesel version is 33 percent higher than for the gasoline version.
- The look and feel of the A3’s interior ranks among the top premium small cars on the market, although the car’s back seat space is limited.
- Audi will launch a redesigned, third-generation A3 in fall 2012. By 2014, the A3 platform could include hybrid, plug-in hybrid and compressed natural gas variants.
What the Press Says:
- “It’s an upscale alternative to more mainstream hatchbacks, a cheaper alternative to a regular luxury wagon, and with the clean-burning diesel engine, an extremely fuel-efficient alternative to hybrids.” — Edmunds.com
- “This sharp, luxury-leaning sportback typifies the clean diesel breed with its low emissions and impressive fuel efficiency. … It’s fun, stylish and thrifty, requiring a fill-up so infrequently there’s a sort of joy experienced in regularly passing stations at a blur.” — Green Car Journal
- “Audi’s smallest offering in the United States doesn’t fall short on style, with a strong familial design in a compact package that’s built both sporty and practical.” — Road & Track
- “The 2012 Audi A3 is one of the more practical cars in the class, but still manages to be fun to drive.” — U.S. News and World Report
- “Overall, the Audi A3 TDI is a clean, performance-driven little car with style and practicality.” — HybridCars.com
More 2012 green cars: Find details about many more green cars from other automakers in The Ultimate Green Car Buyer’s Guide, 2012.
Photo from Audi