Make your floors and your furniture shine with this simple DIY Pine Sol recipe using a base of pine needles and yucca soap. Create your own alternative to pine sol.
If you want to make the switch from harmful chemical cleaners to more natural ones, you’re in luck! You can grow and create your own cleaning supplies using homegrown herbs and simple ingredients around your home. Follow these instructions to create a nontoxic and effective general cleaner for your floors and furniture.
- 4 cups distilled water
- 1/2 cup fresh-picked pine needles
- 1 tablespoon yucca liquid “soap” (see Grow Your Own Cleaning Supply Garden)
- 10 to 15 drops pine essential oil (optional)
- Bring water to a boil, and pour over pine needles in a heat-proof bowl. Cover and set aside.
- When the pine tea has cooled, strain and return to the bowl. Compost your pine needles after straining them out.
- Add yucca liquid soap to your strained tea. Stir.
- Add essential oils if you would like more scent.
- Pour into a spray bottle for use.
Learn more about growing your own cleaning supplies, and discover more safe and homemade cleaning supply recipes:
Dawn Combs is an ethnobotanist and herbalist. She is the formulator at Mockingbird Meadows and chief soda jerk at her family’s unique storefront apothecary, Soda Pharm. She’s also the author of Sweet Remedies: Healing Herbal Honeys, Heal Local, and Conceiving Healthy Babies.