Inexpensive, fun, and yielding delicious results, foraging for local, natural plants is gaining popularity across the nation. Experienced foraging guide Leda Meredith has written The Forager’s Feast (The Countryman Press, 2016) to break down everything you might need to know about the sensation. Learn to identify edible plants in the wild, how to harvest them without harming the growing plant, and try some original recipes while you’re at it!
You can purchase this book from the MOTHER EARTH NEWS store: The Forager’s Feast.
The combination of textures and tastes in these stuffed morels makes them a real treat.For more about these wild fungi, see: Foraging Morel Mushrooms.
• 1 pint morel mushrooms
• 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) butter, bacon grease, or coconut oil
• 1/2 cup scallions, chopped
• 1 large garlic clove, peeled and minced
• 1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
• 1/4 cup pine nuts or walnuts, lightly chopped or crushed
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 2 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
• 1/4 cup Parmesan or Romano cheese, grated
1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. Cut the stems off the morels and set aside. Bring a pot of water to a boil and boil the caps for 10 minutes. Drain in a colander.
3. Chop the morel stems. Sauté in a skillet with the butter, bacon grease, or coconut oil and the scallions for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring often. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more, stirring constantly. The liquid should be almost completely evaporated at this point. Remove from the heat and stir in the parsley, pine nuts, and salt and pepper to taste.
4. Poke the stuffing into the morel caps (a chopstick can come in handy here). Lay the stuffed morels in a single layer on a lightly greased baking sheet or on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs and grated cheese over the mushroom caps. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Serve hot.
More from The Forager's Feast:
Reprinted with permission from The Forager’s Feast: How to Identify, Gather, and Prepare Wild Edibles by Leda Meredith, published by The Countryman Press, a division of W.W. Norton & Company, 2016. Buy this book from our store: The Forager’s Feast.