One of the most nutrient-dense vegetables, kale is the versatile superfood everyone is talking about—and eating! With Kale: The Complete Guide to the World's Most Powerful Superfood (Sterling, 2013), Stephanie Pederson, a holistic health nutritionist, provides a one-stop resources for all things kale, including recipes for every meal, a helpful growing guide and tips on choosing and storing kale. Whether in a sauce, as a snack or on a mini pizza, kale is certainly one of the veggie world’s most-valuable-players. The following Salt and Vinegar Kale Chips Recipe is excerpted from chapter 6, “Small Bites: Kale Appetizers and Snacks.”
You can purchase this book from the MOTHER EARTH NEWS store: Kale
Salt and Vinegar Kale ChipsCrispy baked kale is seasoned with vinegar and salt in this snack recipe. It’s a great healthy replacement to salt and vinegar chips.
• 1 bunch kale
• 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
• 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
• 1 pinch sea salt, to taste
1. Preheat an oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit (150 degrees Celsius).
2. Cut away inner ribs from each kale leaf and discard; tear the leaves into pieces of uniform size. (I made my pieces about the size of a small potato chip.) Wash torn kale pieces and spin dry in a salad spinner or dry with paper towels until they’re very dry.
3. Put the kale pieces into a large resealable bag (or use a bowl if you don’t mind getting your hands oily). Add about half the olive oil; seal and squeeze the bag so the oil gets distributed evenly on the kale pieces. Add the remaining oil and squeeze the bag more, until all kale pieces are evenly coated with oil and slightly “massaged.”
4. Sprinkle the vinegar over the kale leaves, reseal the bag, and shake to spread the vinegar evenly over the leaves. Spread the leaves evenly onto a baking sheet.
5. Roast in the preheated oven until mostly crisp, about 35 minutes. Season with salt and serve immediately.
Create even more with kale in the kitchen. Read Recipes for Kale Snacks and Appetizers.
Reprinted with permission from Kale: The Complete Guide to the World’s Most Powerful Superfood © 2013 by Stephanie Pedersen, Sterling Publishing Co., Inc.