When you add cornmeal to pizza crust, it gives the dough a little heft, as well as an earthy taste and texture. This crust will hold up under multiple toppings.
1 cup warm water (about 110 degrees Fahrenheit)
1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
1/2 tsp honey
2 tbls extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup stone-ground whole-wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup bread flour
1/4 cup coarse Floriani cornmeal
1 tsp salt
1. Whisk together the warm water, yeast and honey in a large bowl. Set aside for 10 minutes to activate the yeast. When the surface appears foamy, add the olive oil and stir.
2. In a separate bowl, stir together the flours, cornmeal and salt. Add to the liquid, blending with a wooden spoon until a ball forms.
3. Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured work surface. Knead the dough for 5 to 10 minutes, adding only as much additional flour as needed to keep it from sticking. When the dough is soft and pliable, place in an oiled bowl and flip once to coat all sides. Cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm spot to rise until doubled or tripled in size, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
4. After the rise is complete, cut dough in half (or quarters), placing unused portions in plastic bags. Refrigerate if you plan to use within two days; otherwise, freeze.
5. Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Place a pizza stone or cast-iron pizza pan in the oven to preheat.
6. Roll out the dough into a thin round. After your baking vessel is preheated, place the crust on it and assemble toppings. Bake for 15 minutes, or until browned and bubbling. Makes 2 large crusts or 4 individual crusts.
Whether you want to learn how to grow and raise your own food, build your own root cellar, or create a green dream home, come out and learn everything you need to know — and then some!LEARN MORE
At MOTHER EARTH NEWS, we are dedicated to conserving our planet's natural resources while helping you conserve your financial resources. You'll find tips for slashing heating bills, growing fresh, natural produce at home, and more. That's why we want you to save money and trees by subscribing through our earth-friendly automatic renewal savings plan. By paying with a credit card, you save an additional $5 and get 6 issues of MOTHER EARTH NEWS for only $12.95 (USA only).
You may also use the Bill Me option and pay $17.95 for 6 issues.