- 1 tablespoon Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound Italian sausage (turkey, chicken, or pork)
- 1 pound pasta, any kind
- 1 shallot, chopped (or half an onion and one clove garlic)
- 2 cups mushrooms, chopped, any variety
- 4 cups kale, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Splash of half-and-half, whipping cream, or milk
- Salt and pepper
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the sausage and begin to brown.
- On a second burner, bring a large pot of water to boil. Drop the pasta and cook to al dente (about 6 to 7 minutes).
- Once the sausage is browned and crumbly, add the shallot and sauté just a minute or so. Add the mushrooms and kale. Stir in the chicken stock and deglaze the pan (scrape the little bits off the bottom). Reduce heat to medium and allow the mixture to bubble up a few minutes.
- Drain the pasta and add to the sausage mixture. Stir in the Parmesan cheese and a splash of half-and-half, whipping cream, or milk. Add just a pinch of salt and pepper and serve, with a bit more Parmesan to garnish if desired.
More from Mix and Match Mama Eats:• Four Ways to Upgrade Your Oatmeal • Slow Cooker Balsamic Chicken • Crispy Potatoes and Sausage
Taken from: Mix & Match Mama Eats. Copyright © 2016 by Shay Shull. Published by Harvest House Publishers, Eugene, Oregon. Used by Permission.
Mix-and-Match Mama Eats by Shay Shull (Harvest House Publishers, 2016) will be your go-to resource for easy meals. In the same cookbook series as Mix-and-Match Mama Simmers, this cookbook will have you serving up meals in no-time. This pasta dish packs in mushroom and kale for a veggie boost.
I’ve used a nice chicken sausage for this pasta dish, but you can substitute turkey sausage or pork sausage. (Ask your butcher about buying good-quality chicken or turkey sausages.) If you’re not into kale, feel free to substitute fresh spinach. Even with kale, though, my kiddos eat it up. Just mix and match it for your family!