Insalata di Pomodori, or Tomato Salad, is my own creation born out of too many tomatoes! (Other recipes are out there, this one is my own.) It also happens to be my husbands’ favourite salad. This is a very easy to make, and refreshing on a hot summers’ day. The way I make this salad is to marinate the tomatoes in olive oil, vinegar, herbs and spices. Of course, you can always personalize it to your own taste. Don’t like oregano?Leave it out. I did it a little differently this time, by adding some cold, cooked shrimp suitable for mealtime.
Have too many tomatoes? Make Insalata di Pomodori! Your taste buds will be glad you did.
• 4 large tomatoes, chopped in 1/2” dice
• 1 small onion, chopped in 1/4’ dice
• 1 clove garlic, finely minced or use 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
• 1/4 cup good quality olive oil
• 2 Tbl. Balsamic vinegar
• 1 tsp. Italian seasoning or a mixture of Italian herbs equal to 1 tsp, such as basil, oregano, marjoram, rosemary
• Salt and pepper to taste
And if you really want to gild the lily: 2 Tbl. pignoli or pine nuts. Expensive but tasty little nuggets.
1. Put the diced tomatoes in a large stainless or glass bowl with the onions and garlic.
2. Pour the remaining ingredients over the tomatoes.
3. Stir gently to distribute everything, and let rest for 3-4 hours.
4. If you wish you can top with some chilled, cooked shrimp.
Notes: Pignoli, or pine nuts, are the “seeds” of a particular pine tree. They were primarily grown in the Mediterranean (Italians seem to love them), but are also grown now in California. They can be used in lasagna, cookies, pastries, braciola, there are lots of possibilities.
All MOTHER EARTH NEWS community bloggers have agreed to follow our Blogging Guidelines, and they are responsible for the accuracy of their posts. To learn more about the author of this post, click on their byline link at the top of the page.