The Secret Life of Your Microbiome (New Society Publishers, 2017), by Susan L. Prescott, MD, PhD and by Alan C. Logan, ND presents the scientific connection between our bodies and the microbial world and suggests that the health industry not neglect the symbiosis of microbial and human life. The book includes recipes for a healthy microbiome from "The Gut Girl", Marlies Venier, a skilled fermenter, blogger, and certified health coach. The following excerpt is a healthy-gut recipe for gluten-free pancakes by Venier.
This recipe will get you out of bed in the morning! These are delicious topped with half a sliced banana, a spoonful of vanilla yogurt, and a drizzle of maple syrup.
- 1 cup chia seeds
- 1/2 cup goji berries
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder
- 1 tsp. maca powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- cups water
- 1/2 cup walnuts or macadamia nuts, finely ground
- Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add water and mix well with a fork.
- Form rounds using an ice cream scoop. Put on a baking tray. Set the oven to the lowest temperature. Gently bake overnight, or use a dehydrator set at 115°F for 7 hours.
More from The Secret Life of Your Microbiome:
- Gut Feeling: Linking the Microbiome to Mental Health
- Coconut Yogurt Recipe
- Almond Milk Recipe
- Mushroom Miso Soup Recipe