The Secret Life of Your Microbiome (New Society Publishers, 2017), by Susan L. Prescott, MD, PhD and by Alan C. Logan, ND presents the scientific connection between our bodies and the microbial world and suggests that the health industry not neglect the symbiosis of microbial and human life. The book includes recipes for a healthy microbiome from "The Gut Girl", Marlies Venier, a skilled fermenter, blogger, and certified health coach. The following excerpt is a healthy-gut recipe for almond milk by Venier.
Homemade almond milk is delicious, and far better than anything you can buy at the grocery store. I enjoy this poured on my cereal or just as a rich creamy drink. Bonus: Add 2 tbsp. cacao powder and blend to make chocolate almond milk. Kids love it!
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 4 cups filtered water + more for soaking
- 2–4 pitted Medjool dates (I use 3 depending on the size, but sweeten it to your liking)
- 1 whole vanilla bean, chopped (or 1/2–1 tsp. vanilla extract)
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- Small pinch of fine-grain sea salt, to enhance the flavor
- Place the almonds in a bowl and cover with water. Soak overnight (for about 8 –12 hours). You can cut the time to 1 – 2 hours; however, the longer they soak the more plump and sprouted they will be.
- Rinse and drain the almonds and place in a blender. Add the water, dates, and vanilla. Blend on the highest speed for 1 minute or more.
- Place a nut milk bag over a large bowl and slowly pour the almond milk into the bag. Gently squeeze the bottom of the bag to release the milk.
- Rinse the blender and pour the milk back in. Add the cinnamon and salt, and blend on low to combine.
- Pour into a glass jar to store in the fridge for up to 3 – 5 days. The mixture will separate so give it a shake before using.
Gut Girl Note: You can replace the dates with other sweeteners, like maple syrup, if you prefer. If your dates or vanilla bean are dry, soak in warm water to soften before blending.
More from The Secret Life of Your Microbiome:
- Gut Feeling: Linking the Microbiome to Mental Health
- Chocolate Chia Pancakes Recipe
- Coconut Yogurt Recipe
- Mushroom Miso Soup Recipe