You can easily create a shampoo containing simple, natural ingredients that’ll give your hair added body, bounce, and luster. Yield: 8 ounces.
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup liquid castile soap
- 1/2 teaspoon light natural oil (omit if you have very oily hair)
- Mix together all ingredients listed at right.
- Pour the shampoo into a clean squeeze bottle or plastic container.
To use: Shampoo your hair as you would normally, and rinse well with cool water.
For Normal Hair
- Beer. Place 1 cup of beer in a saucepan and boil until reduced to 1/4 cup. Add this to 1 cup of Basic Shampoo and stir well.
- Egg. Mix together 1 tablespoon of Basic Shampoo and 1 raw egg. Use this mixture to shampoo your hair.
For Oily Hair
- Lemon juice. Add 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice to 1 cup of Basic Shampoo and stir well.
- Aloe vera gel. Add 1⁄4 cup of aloe vera gel to 1 cup of Basic Shampoo and stir well.
For Dry Hair
- Honey. Mix together 1 tablespoon of honey and 1 tablespoon of Basic Shampoo.
- Jojoba oil. Add 2 tablespoons of jojoba oil and 1/2 cup of water to 1 cup of Basic Shampoo and stir well. Shampoo as usual, and rinse well with warm water. If hair seems too oily afterward, shampoo once more with 1 teaspoon of Basic Shampoo.
Also from Natural Beauty for All Seasons:
- Natural Care for Winter Skin and Hair
- Black-Eyed Pea Cleanser
- Pine Toner
- Greek Yogurt Mask
- Winter Moisturizer
- Dandruff Treatments
- Olive Oil Shaving Cream
- Herbal Sleep Pillow
Janice Cox is the author of Natural Beauty at Home and Natural Beauty from the Garden. She’s the beauty editor for Herb Quarterly magazine, a regular magazine contributor, and a frequent speaker at MOTHER EARTH NEWS FAIRS. This excerpt is from her book Natural Beauty for All Seasons, available below.