Chickens Eating Eggs
What makes a chicken eat eggs, and what can be done to stop this?
Different circumstances may lead to chickens eating eggs. Once established, it’s a difficult habit to break. Here are a few suggestions to deter this behavior.
- Raise nest boxes at least 18 inches off the floor. Bored chickens, especially roosters, are less likely to start pecking at eggs if they’re not at ground level.
- Feed a balanced ration.
- Make oyster shells available to layer hens. This prevents a calcium shortage, which can sometimes prompt hens to start eating eggs.
- Make sure the chickens have adequate space?—?preferably allow them to range on pasture during the day.
- Gather eggs frequently so the chickens don’t have access to them for long.
- Try nests that allow the eggs to roll to a tray behind the nests so the chickens can’t get to them.
If you have lots of birds in your flock, you may want to remove the offenders, because this behavior usually spreads pretty rapidly.
—?Troy Griepentrog, homesteading editor
We Built an Amazing Off-Grid Tiny House on Our Homestead for a Customer and Here is What We Learned
Seeing our tiny house on AirBnb, a woman approached us saying she wanted something larger and more personalized. So, we got to work on a custom build.
How I Raised a Year’s Worth of Grass-Fed Beef for Practically Nothing
Is it cheaper to raise your own beef? Is it even worth raising your own meat? Yes, it is absolutely cheaper and worth the time and effort to do so!
Backyard Solitary Bees
Creating a home for the native bee populations in your area will support these important pollinators and boost the health of your plants.