Alberta Canada Homestead Sales and Land Leases Information

Everything you need to know from the Department of Lands and Forest when it comes to buying or leasing land in Alberta, Canada.

| September/October 1970

  • map
    Available public lands in this area, which are suitable for the proposed use and are not required for conservation, recreational, wildlife habitat, forestry and other purposes, may be applied for pursuant to the Public Lands Act and the regulations.
  • Alberta Canada
    The land is still there for the settling. Here’s information regarding homestead sales, acquisition of recreational land and sale or leasing of land in Alberta by the Department of Lands and Forests.

  • map
  • Alberta Canada

Information regarding homestead sales government of the Province of Alberta   

Form LH 48
Revised, June 1970 
Department of lands and forests natural resources building Edmonton, Alberta, Canada 

1. Who may apply for a homestead sale? Any person who has reached the age of eighteen years but not the age of seventy one, who is a British subject or a Canadian citizen, or declares his intention of becoming a Canadian citizen, and who has resided in Alberta for a total of at least one year in the three years immediately prior to making application. 

A veteran who furnishes a certificate from the Veterans' Land Act 1942 (Canada) certifying he is a veteran, may apply regardless of the residence qualifications, he may also apply for financial assistance under the same Act.

If eligible, an applicant may apply for a homestead sale comprising not more than four adjoining or cornering quarter sections of public land as a unit, or, he may apply for more than one homestead sale subject to the condition that each unit applied for is within a ten mile radius of each other unit. A husband and wife by their individual applications cannot obtain more than a total of four quarter sections under homestead sale.

If the applicant or the spouse owns other land, the combined area of the land applied for as a homestead sale and the land owned shall not exceed four quarter sections. The land applied for as a homestead sale must be within a ten mile radius of all land owned.

8/19/2018 8:03:13 PM

Is there a phone number to get info on available properties in the grande prairie area?

8/19/2018 8:03:12 PM

Is there a phone number to call to get information on available lands

3/24/2018 5:30:55 PM

What if I want to lease a grazing lease of 50 acres for just hunting and quading? Is that allowed


Fermentation Frenzy!

September 12-13, 2019
Seven Springs, Pa

Fermentation Frenzy! is produced by Fermentation magazine in conjunction with the MOTHER EARTH NEWS FAIR. This one-and-a-half day event is jam-packed with fun and informative hands-on sessions.


Subscribe Today - Pay Now & Save 64% Off the Cover Price

Money-Saving Tips in Every Issue!

Mother Earth NewsAt MOTHER EARTH NEWS, we are dedicated to conserving our planet's natural resources while helping you conserve your financial resources. You'll find tips for slashing heating bills, growing fresh, natural produce at home, and more. That's why we want you to save money and trees by subscribing through our earth-friendly automatic renewal savings plan. By paying with a credit card, you save an additional $5 and get 6 issues of MOTHER EARTH NEWS for only $12.95 (USA only).

You may also use the Bill Me option and pay $17.95 for 6 issues.

Canadian Subscribers - Click Here
International Subscribers - Click Here
Canadian subscriptions: 1 year (includes postage & GST).

Facebook Pinterest Instagram YouTube Twitter flipboard

Free Product Information Classifieds Newsletters

click me