Do your knees, shoulders or back hurt from riding your bike? Adjusting the bike seat might begin to fix the problem.
By Dave Glowacz
Whether you are buying your first bicycle, your twentieth bicycle, or you’re getting your old bike out of storage, Dave Glowacz provides the tips for riders of all ages and levels of experience in Urban Bikers’ Tricks and Tips (Wordspace Press, 2010). This excerpt, which explains the ways to improve the comfort level on your bike by adjusting your seat, is from Chapter 1, “Choosing a Bike.”
You can purchase this book from the MOTHER EARTH NEWS store: Urban Bikers’ Tricks and Tips.
Lots of people have bikes that don’t fit right. Usually the frame is too tall, short, or long. A bad fit can hurt your back, neck, or shoulders. Or it can just make you feel strange. So should you get a different bike? Maybe not. First decide whether moving the handlebars and/or seat will fix the problem.
• Bending head up hurts neck
Tilting the Seat
Why: Put more or less weight on your crotch or arms.
• Loosen the nut below the seat
Moving the Seat Forward
Why: Puts you closer to the handlebars for less stretch
1. Loosen the seat nut.
2. Push the seat forward
3. Tighten the nut.
Raising the Seat
Why: With the correct knee bend you pedal easier.
1. Loosen the seat-post nut.
2. Pull the seat up by twisting it back and forth.
3. Put the bike next to a wall or have a friend hold it. Then sit lightly on the seat.
4. Put one pedal at the 6 o’clock position, and put your foot on it.
5. Your knee should be slightly bent. If it isn’t, change the seat height. (If you end up with less than two inches of seat post inside the frame, you might have to get a longer post. Otherwise, the bike is simply too short for you.)
6. Tighten the seat-post nut.
Want to learn more cycling tips? Check out these articles:
Reprinted with Permission from Urban Bikers’ Tricks and Tips by Dave Glowacz and published by Wordspace Press, 2010. Buy this book from our store: Urban Bikers’ Tricks and Tips.
At MOTHER EARTH NEWS, we are dedicated to conserving our planet's natural resources while helping you conserve your financial resources. You'll find tips for slashing heating bills, growing fresh, natural produce at home, and more. That's why we want you to save money and trees by subscribing through our earth-friendly automatic renewal savings plan. By paying with a credit card, you save an additional $5 and get 6 issues of MOTHER EARTH NEWS for only $12.95 (USA only).
You may also use the Bill Me option and pay $17.95 for 6 issues.