“Beekeeper’s Lab” by Kim Lehman shares 52 projects for beekeepers to use around the hive and using hive-derived products. This excerpt demonstrates how to make your own natural and moisturizing lip balm from beeswax.
You can purchase this book from the MOTHER EARTH NEWS store: Beekeeper’s Lab
Make this simple and inexpensive lip balm for your own use or as a gift. You may never buy lip balm from the store again!
1. Prepare a pouring area to catch overflow by folding up and crimping the edges of a piece of aluminum foil. Any lip balm spilled can be saved and reused.
2. Melt the beeswax in a glass measuring cup in a double boiler. Glass, stainless steel and ceramic are preferred materials for making skin care products.
3. Add the almond oil and lanolin. Stir with a wooden stick. As soon as the mixture has melted, remove from the heat.
4. Let the oil and wax cool a bit before adding a few drops of vitamin E oil. Pour into lip balm tubes. It is tempting, but do not hold the tube with your hands. Hot wax will spill onto your fingers!
5. Make cleanup easier by wiping the glass measuring cup with a paper towel while still warm.
6. Cap the lip balm once completely cool. Wipe any drips off the tube with a paper towel.
7. Store any lip balm not being used immediately in the refrigerator to extend the shelf life.
Design and make your own labels on the computer or as individual pieces of art. Protect the label on your lip balm by covering with wide clear tape.
Keep wax away from open flames. Unplug heating source when not in use.
Make a variety of lip balms by adding flavors especially made for lip-care products that you can buy online.
Whether you want to learn how to grow and raise your own food, build your own root cellar, or create a green dream home, come out and learn everything you need to know — and then some!LEARN MORE
At MOTHER EARTH NEWS, we are dedicated to conserving our planet's natural resources while helping you conserve your financial resources. You'll find tips for slashing heating bills, growing fresh, natural produce at home, and more. That's why we want you to save money and trees by subscribing through our earth-friendly automatic renewal savings plan. By paying with a credit card, you save an additional $5 and get 6 issues of MOTHER EARTH NEWS for only $12.95 (USA only).
You may also use the Bill Me option and pay $17.95 for 6 issues.