Real Food

Savor the flavors of everyday real food, fresh from the garden or stored on your pantry shelves.

Perfect Soft or Hard Boiled Eggs

4/18/2012 1:21:17 PM

Tags: egg recipes

Many Stages of Cooked Eggs

To make perfect soft- or hard-boiled eggs, put whole, room-temperature eggs in a pan of cold water and bring it to a simmer over medium heat. Once the water is at a low boil, begin counting. Remove the eggs at the time specified below, and chill them under running cold water before cracking and peeling.

Soft-Boiled Quail Eggs: 1 minute

Hard-Boiled Quail Eggs: 2 to 3 minutes

Soft-Boiled Chicken Eggs: 2 minutes

Hard-Boiled Chicken Eggs: 5 minutes

Soft-Boiled Duck Eggs: 3 minutes

Hard-Boiled Duck Eggs: 7 minutes

See Also:

Meatless Monday Recipe: Baked Eggplant with Quinoa

Delicious, nutritious quinoa gives nutty goodness to this summer dish that takes advantage of tomato...

Golden Pickled Quail Eggs

You can pickle any kind of egg, includin delicate and delicious quail eggs.

Keeping Quails: Newly Hatched Baby Quails

Raising baby coturnix quail is an exciting adventure. Taylor is completely new to raising poultry an...

Quail Meat Comeback (With Recipes)

Quail meat is making its comeback as there has been more of a demand due to the composition of the m...

David Lemme
3/27/2013 4:12:49 AM
It used to be true that intact shells would indicate an egg was safe from Salmonella, however commercially available eggs have thinner shells than in the past, which have been found to allow some transmission into the egg and the crowded and less sanitary conditions in "chicken factories" increase exposure to Salmonella compared to open range or small farm raised eggs. As long as the white is cooked through, you are probably safe, but take care when using raw eggs as in mayonnaise.

Michelle
3/26/2013 6:25:15 PM
There actually can be salmonella on the inside of an egg- that is one of the reasons to cook eggs completely through.

Donna Soroka
3/24/2013 1:17:53 PM
I found trying to do my super-fresh chicken eggs at an elevation of 8,000 feet above sea level left me with little more than scraps by the time I got all the shell peeled off...that is until I found pressure cooking! I was truly skeptical at first and expected to have a horrid mess in my pc the first couple of times I tried this. Much to my surprise, not only did I not have a huge mess to clean up, but my fresh-from-the-chicken eggs peeled extremely well. The process? Clean the eggs with running water and a scrub brush. Place the eggs in the pc. Add enough water to cover 1/2 way up the bottom layer of eggs (I've done as few as 3 eggs and as many as 2 dozen eggs at one time.). Place the pc on the stove and bring to pressure (15 lbs at my elevation). Once pressurized, cook 3 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to de-pressurize naturally (no quick releases or you end up with slimy eggs). Once de-pressurized, open lid, empty remaining water, fill with cold water, wait a few minutes, drain and refill. When the eggs are cool enough to touch, you can peel them with little to no trouble at all.

transgender_fl
3/23/2013 2:21:44 PM
Salmonella is on the outside of the egg. On the shell. As long as the egg isn't cracked and non of the shell gets on the inside of the egg when you crack it, It will be salmonella safe

TERRY HAWK
3/22/2013 8:30:40 PM
I do my eggs in the oven too except my oven is at 325 degrees for 25 minutes. I put my bacon (thick sliced) while the oven is heating up and then I will put the eggs in when it is heated. They are done about the same time. I will let the bacon sit in the oven while I peel the eggs because I like crisp bacon but you can remove it when it is done to your liking.

Eliazara Campbell
3/22/2013 6:42:18 PM
I have recently learned how to do them in the oven. No water needed! I fill up a 12 cup cupcake tin with eggs, place in the oven at 350 for 30 minutes, then immediately place them in an ice bath and done! I think the yolks turn out creamier and they seem to be easier to peel. Worth trying at least once :) I've seen people place the eggs directly on the rack, but I have had some crack slightly and don't want the mess

Chris
3/22/2013 6:09:38 PM
I'm not the author, but I do know you don't have to add time - most everyone keeps their eggs in the fridge & by the time the water is boiling, the chill is gone. I ate duck and quail eggs all the time until I came to the US - I figure chicken eggs are most likely to make you sick if they have salmonella. No fresh egg is unsafe if you cook it all the way through. The green around the yolk happens when you don't chill the cooked egg quickly &/or don't peel them soon enough.

Chris
3/22/2013 6:06:53 PM
I bring chicken eggs to boiling, turn off the heat, put a lid on the pan and count 10 minutes. This uses less power and puts less heat into the kitchen. I also find if you put ice in the water to chill the cooked eggs, you don't have to keep running water over them and can peel/eat them sooner. I haven't had the pleasure of a duck egg in over 20 years :o(

Greg Verbick
3/22/2013 4:46:35 PM
How much cooking time do you add for hard boiled eggs that are cooked immediately after taking them from the refrigerator? Are duck and quail eggs as safe to eat as chicken eggs? How long do they need to be cooled with water? Is it true that if the outer layer of the yolk of a hard boiled egg is green then it is over crooked? Thank you in advance for your answers.

Brian Godfrey
7/14/2012 2:49:55 PM
Truly fresh eggs are very difficult to peel when boiled. We put ours in a steamer and start counting when we turn it on. 17 minutes for hard "boiled"