We’re looking for readers’ stories about how they built their homes with little or no debt. Tell us your story by sending an email to Letters@MotherEarthNews.com. We’re looking for reports with accompanying photos, so send along any images you have, too!
Here are some of the things we’d like to know.
1. What tactics did you use to avoid a big mortgage? For example, did you build it slowly over a long period of time while living somewhere else, or did you build it largely by hand out of free, reclaimed or natural materials?
2. What kind of home did you build?
3. Can you estimate about how much the materials you used cost?
4. How many square feet is your home?
5. How much of the labor did you do yourself?
6. Did you encounter any obstacles when working with building codes or inspectors?
7. Would you do it again?
8. Do you have any advice for others who want to do the same?