This Sesame Seed Cookie Recipe is a delicious vegetarian dessert using all natural ingredients.
Filled with the crunch of sesame seeds.
2 cups unhulled sesame seeds
*3/4 cup peanut butter
1 1/2 cups honey
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp sea salt
2 tsp baking soda
3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
*For the fat in any recipe, I sometimes use tahini (a thin butter made by grinding hulled sesame seeds) or peanut butter.
1. Toast the sesame seeds in a frying pan or in the oven until they're light brown.
2. Mix together the peanut butter and honey. Add the eggs, lemon juice and vanilla. Mix in the sesame seeds.
3. Mix in the salt and baking soda, then stir in the flour and mix until smooth.
4. Drop the batter onto buttered cookie sheets with a teaspoon.
5. Bake in a 325 degrees Fahrenheit oven for about 15 to 17 minutes or until the tops of the cookies start to brown.
Yield: 5 to 6 dozen
From Wings of Life: Vegetarian Cookery by Julie Jordan, copyright 1976 by the author and reprinted with the permission of The Crossing Press, Trumansburg, New York 14886.
Read more about homemade vegetarian desserts: Using Natural Baking Ingredients to Create Healthy Vegetarian Desserts.
Whether you want to learn how to grow and raise your own food, build your own root cellar, or create a green dream home, come out and learn everything you need to know — and then some!LEARN MORE
At MOTHER EARTH NEWS, we are dedicated to conserving our planet's natural resources while helping you conserve your financial resources. You'll find tips for slashing heating bills, growing fresh, natural produce at home, and more. That's why we want you to save money and trees by subscribing through our earth-friendly automatic renewal savings plan. By paying with a credit card, you save an additional $5 and get 6 issues of MOTHER EARTH NEWS for only $12.95 (USA only).
You may also use the Bill Me option and pay $17.95 for 6 issues.