In The 21-Day Sugar Detox Cookbook: Over 100 Recipes for Any Program Level, Diane Sanfilippo provides more than 100 recipes readers can enjoy "guilt-free." These simple and delicious recipes and meal plans will help readers easily cut bad eating habits and get rid of sugar and carb cravings for good. The following excerpt is from Chapter 3, "Easy Recipes."
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless turkey breast (frozen for 1 to 2 hours)
- Choose one marinade below, or use 4 pounds total and make both flavor options
Chinese Five Spice Jerky Option:
- 1/2 cup coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese Five-Spice powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
Chili-Garlic Jerky Option:
- 1/2 cup clean ingredient hot sauce
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the marinade flavoring of your choice. Taste and adjust the seasonings as desired; it should taste stronger than you want the finished jerky to taste.
- Remove the turkey breast from the freezer — you want it to be firm enough to cut into thin slices, but not completely frozen.
- Cutting against the grain, very thinly slice the turkey breast into 1/8-inch slices using a sharp knife, electric carving knife, or meat slicer.
- Place the sliced meat in the marinade and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit. Place oven-safe baking racks on top of 2 foil-lined rimmed baking sheets.
- Remove the meat from the refrigerator and place the racks at least 1/2-inch apart.
- Bake for 3 to 4 hours or until the jerky reaches the desired level of dryness, keeping in mind that it will harden a bit as it cools.
- If you have a dehydrator, you can dehydrate the marinated turkey strips on low for 3 to 4 hours or until dry to your texture preference. Store refrigerated in an airtight glass container or bag for up to 2 weeks.
More from The 21-Day Sugar Detox Cookbook:
- Chorizo Burgers with Spicy Red Onions Recipe
- Coffee and Cocoa Rubbed Ribs Recipe
- Cookout Coleslaw Recipe
- Italian Sausage and Peppers Recipe
- Smoky Grilled Pork Chops Recipe
- Sun-Dried Tomato Hummus Recipe