I used a cast-iron Danish aebleskiver pan, aka a “puff pancake” pan, to make these hush puppies. An aebleskiver pan has seven holes into which you place oil and batter, ending up with perfectly formed balls of fried goodness. If you don’t have an aebleskiver pan, use a heavy skillet, and pour your oil 1/4 inch deep.
Peanut oil for frying
1 1/2 cups fine Floriani cornmeal
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup water
2 tbsp shallot, minced
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream
1 tsp chipotle hot sauce
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine cornmeal, baking powder, salt, buttermilk, sour cream and water. Mix in egg and shallot.
2. Place 1 teaspoon oil in each hole of the aebleskiver pan. Heat on medium-high heat until oil sizzles when you test a spoonful of batter.
3. Turn down heat to medium and drop 1 tablespoon-sized ball into each slot of the pan. After a minute, gently run a dull knife around the edge of the hush puppies and flip over. Fry for another 1 to 2 minutes until golden brown.
4. Remove from pan with a spoon and transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel. Serve hot with chipotle dipping sauce.
5. To prepare the sauce, combine all ingredients and mix well.
Makes 2 dozen.
Whether you want to learn how to grow and raise your own food, build your own root cellar, or create a green dream home, come out and learn everything you need to know — and then some!LEARN MORE
At MOTHER EARTH NEWS, we are dedicated to conserving our planet's natural resources while helping you conserve your financial resources. You'll find tips for slashing heating bills, growing fresh, natural produce at home, and more. That's why we want you to save money and trees by subscribing through our earth-friendly automatic renewal savings plan. By paying with a credit card, you save an additional $5 and get 6 issues of MOTHER EARTH NEWS for only $12.95 (USA only).
You may also use the Bill Me option and pay $17.95 for 6 issues.