This is a great one-dish breakfast item. Prepare it the night before, and it will be ready to go into the oven in the morning. Serve with butter and maple syrup.
3 3/4 cups water, divided
1 cup fine Floriani cornmeal
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp cayenne
1 cup ground pork, browned
1. Boil 2 3/4 cups of the water in a medium saucepan.
2. Combine the cornmeal, salt, sugar and cayenne in a mixing bowl. Stir in the remaining 1 cup of water.
3. When the water is boiling, add the cornmeal mixture to the pan, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens.
4. Cover the pan and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Brown the ground pork. Drain and thoroughly pat dry.
6. When the cornmeal has cooked through, remove from heat and stir in the browned pork. Pour mixture into a loaf pan. Let cool for one hour, then place in the refrigerator overnight, or for several hours.
7. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. With a dull knife (so as not to damage the pan), slice the mush 1 inch thick. Carefully transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 20 minutes. Serve immediately. Makes 1 loaf.
Whether you want to learn how to grow and raise your own food, build your own root cellar, or create a green dream home, come out and learn everything you need to know — and then some!LEARN MORE
At MOTHER EARTH NEWS, we are dedicated to conserving our planet's natural resources while helping you conserve your financial resources. You'll find tips for slashing heating bills, growing fresh, natural produce at home, and more. That's why we want you to save money and trees by subscribing through our earth-friendly automatic renewal savings plan. By paying with a credit card, you save an additional $5 and get 6 issues of MOTHER EARTH NEWS for only $12.95 (USA only).
You may also use the Bill Me option and pay $17.95 for 6 issues.