This is an old family favorite we often have in the fall. Not sure of its origin, but has been around in our family since I can remember.
Baked Green Tomatoes Recipe
• 2 lbs Green Tomatoes
• 1/2 t Sugar
• 1 C Cubed Bread or Bread Crumbs
• 6 T Butter
• 1/2 T Oregano
• 1/4 t Basil
• 1/4 t Thyme
• 1/3 C Fresh Grated Parmesan Cheese
• Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Cut 2 pounds of green tomatoes into 1/2-inch thick slices and arrange them overlapping in a lightly oiled baking dish. Sprinkle tomatoes with 1/2 teaspoon sugar and salt & pepper to taste.
2. Lightly brown 1 cup of fresh bread cubes or crumbs in 4 tablespoons of butter and combine with 1/2 teaspoon chopped oregano, 1/4 teaspoon chopped basil and 1/4 teaspoon chopped thyme. Use fresh herbs if available, as they provide much more flavor. Sprinkle the seasoned bread mixture over the tomatoes, top with 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese and dot with 2 tablespoons of butter. An aged parmesan cheese provides better flavor.
3. Bake for 45 minutes in a 350 degree preheated oven.
You can double this, halve it and freeze it for later cooking. It is good after freezing, but the bread cubes are not as crisp.
Got more green tomatoes? If you're looking for additional ways to use your green tomatoes in the kitchen, head on over to our Green Tomato Recipes collection page!