Fall means an abundance of bright orange carrots, sweet apples, and crunchy nuts. You may not think to combine them in a sunny-looking, morning muffin, but this carrot apple nut muffin recipe does just that — and with delicious results.
- 1/2 cup walnuts or pecans, chopped
- 2 cups raw carrots (about 2 or 3 carrots)
- 1 large apple
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar (brown, white or a combination)
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1-1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease muffin cups or insert liners, if using. Peel and finely grate the carrots and apple, setting aside for later.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and ground cinnamon. Stir in the nuts. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, oil, ginger and vanilla extract. Fold the wet ingredients and the grated carrot and apple into the flour mixture, stirring just until moistened.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared muffin cups and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack. Makes 9 standard-size muffins or 12 small ones.