Family Table (Lyons Press, 2018) by Shaye Elliott proves that a homesteading dream can become a fruitful reality. Elliott brings readers recipes that stem directly from her own experience working her family’s farm, from complex dishes to simple sauces and butters. The following excerpt is her recipe for oven-fried zucchini with an optional cilantro aioli.
Fresh zucchini is a homestead staple, and this recipe turns a wonderfully crisp vegetable into something totally brilliant, if I do say so myself. By all means, use whatever vegetables you have on hand. We often do green tomatoes, eggplant, peppers, and even carrots.
• 1 cup ground almonds
• 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
• 3 eggs
• 1/2 cup organic flour
• 3 zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
• Sea salt
• Freshly ground black pepper
• Cilantro Aioli
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Drizzle a baking sheet with olive oil and place it in the oven to warm.
2. In a bowl, combine the ground almonds and Parmesan cheese.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs.
4. In a third bowl, place the flour.
5. Working with a few zucchini pieces at a time, add them first to the flour to coat and shake off any excess. Then dunk them into the eggs. Finally, dredge them in the almond–Parmesan mixture.
6. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and place the zucchini slices onto the oiled sheet. Season with salt and pepper and bake for 10 to 15 minutes, flipping them over halfway through the cooking time and adding salt and pepper to the other side. When golden, remove from the oven and transfer to a plate and serve with Cilantro Aioli.
More from: Family Table• Breakfast Quinoa with Eggs and Smoked Hollandaise Sauce Recipe
• Asparagus Soup with Poached Eggs Recipe
• Instant Berry Ice Cream Recipe
• Red Wine and Honey-Poached Pears and Plums Recipe
Reprinted with permission from Family Table (2018), by Shaye Elliott and published by Lyons Press.