Mason Jar Lunches (Ulysses Press, 2017) by Jessica Harlan reinvents meal prepping; she shows her readers how to use mason jars to pack healthy on-the-go meals in perfect portions. Harlan takes all of your favorite recipes and customizes them to fit into a fast-paced lifestyle with mason jars. The following excerpt is her recipe for a mason jar lasagna.
Using round ravioli, just the right size to fit into a half-pint mason jar, is a good cheat for making lasagna. This recipe layers the ravioli with all the other lasagna fixings: marinara sauce, ricotta cheese, and mozzarella. If you are a meat lover, you can brown 4 to 6 ounces of ground beef or turkey and add it to the layers.
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
• 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
• 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
• 3 turns freshly ground black pepper
• 1 cup prepared marinara sauce
• 4 ounces grated mozzarella cheese
1. Cook ravioli according to package directions, drain, and rinse. Transfer to a bowl and drizzle with olive oil to prevent sticking. Set aside.
2. In a small bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, Parmesan, Italian seasoning, and black pepper.
3. To create the jars, spoon about a tablespoon of sauce into the bottom of each jar. Layer with ravioli, a spoonful of ricotta, a spoonful of sauce, and a tablespoon of mozzarella. Make as many layers as will fit, ending with the mozzarella. You will likely have extra ingredients.
4. Refrigerate until needed, up to 3 days. To serve, set on a microwaveable plate and microwave uncovered for 1-1/2 minutes until cheese melts and the pasta is heated through. Turn out into a bowl.
Note: For variation, try different types of ravioli fillings, such as spinach, mushroom, or artichoke. You can also use pesto instead of the marinara sauce for a summery version.
More from: Mason Jar Lunches• 10 Benefits of Mason Jar Meals
• Bread Pudding Mason Jar Recipe
• Mason Jar Fruit Salad Recipe
Reprinted with permission from Mason Jar Lunches: 50 Pretty, Portable Packed Lunches (2017), by Jessica Harlan and published by Ulysses Press.