Family Table (Lyons Press, 2018) by Shaye Elliott proves that a homesteading dream can become a fruitful reality. Elliott brings readers recipes that stem directly from her own experience working her family’s farm, from complex dishes to simple sauces and butters. The following excerpt is her recipe for instant berry ice cream.
My little ones still request this 100 times more than any other ice cream. It’s such a wonderful way to enjoy a sweet treat without any of the artificial ingredients or flavorings of store-bought varieties. Bonus: You don’t even need an ice-cream maker!
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
• 3 tablespoons, or to taste, maple syrup
• 1/2 cup heavy cream
• Fresh berries, for garnish
• Lemon zest, for garnish
1. Combine all the ingredients together in a high-powered blender, pulsing to completely mix. This will be a thick mix for your blender, so stop it every 30 seconds or so to mix up the contents. It will be the consistency of a very thick smoothie. Garnish each serving with fresh berries and lemon zest.
More from: Family Table• Breakfast Quinoa with Eggs and Smoked Hollandaise Sauce Recipe
• Asparagus Soup with Poached Eggs Recipe
• Oven-Fried Zucchini with Cilantro Aioli Recipe
• Red Wine and Honey-Poached Pears and Plums Recipe
Reprinted with permission from Family Table (2018), by Shaye Elliott and published by Lyons Press.