Several readers have inquired about how to make the 30-minute Mozzarella Cheese Recipe from Ricki Carroll's great book, Home Cheese Making, without using a microwave. Here's how.
Follow the recipe for 30-minute Mozzarella until Step 5.
* When you get to Step 5, reserve the whey. Then put on heavy rubber gloves.
* Heat the reserved whey to at least 175 degrees Fahrenheit.
* Add 1/4 cup of cheese salt to the whey.
* Shape the curd into one or more balls, put them in a ladle or strainer, and dip them into the hot whey for several seconds.
* Knead the curd with spoons between each dip and repeat this process several times until the curd is smooth and pliable. When it stretches like taffy, it's done.
* Roll the cheese into small balls, and serve warm. Or place them in a bowl of ice water for half an hour to bring the inside temperature down rapidly. This will produce a consistent, smooth texture throughout.
* If you have any cheese leftover (highly unlikely!), cover and store in the refrigerator.Please report on your experience trying this method by posting to our comments section below.
Whether you want to learn how to grow and raise your own food, build your own root cellar, or create a green dream home, come out and learn everything you need to know — and then some!LEARN MORE