- 4 cups strawberries, hulled, rinsed and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tbsp honey, or to taste
- Place strawberries and water in a saucepan over medium heat. Heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, and then mash with a potato masher or purée in a food processor until smooth. Add honey to taste. Pour purée onto a nonstick dehydrator sheet or large baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Dry in a food dehydrator for 6 to 8 hours, or in your oven on its lowest temperature setting for 10 hours or more, until smooth and not sticky.
- Cut fruit leather and parchment paper into strips of desired width. Roll up. Place in airtight bags or containers, and then store in fridge.
More Ideas for Homemade Snack Foods:• Nutty Energy Bites Recipe • Grab ’n’ Go: Homemade Convenience Foods
I make this fruit leather recipe with my 9-year-old grandson because he loves the fruity treats, and I am able to avoid processed sugar and artificial flavors and colors. Feel free to substitute other seasonal fruit for the strawberries. Light-colored fruits will benefit from a dash of lemon juice added to the mix to prevent darkening. If you use apples, try adding a little cinnamon and nutmeg, too.