Homemade Whole-Grain Bread Recipe

Nutritious bread doesn’t have to be dense and bland. Revolutionize your whole grain baking using this Homemade Whole-Grain Bread recipe based on the methods of baking expert Peter Reinhart. You’ll make homemade whole-grain bread with a surprisingly light texture and rich flavor.

| December 2012/January 2013

Homemade Bread Loaf

Allow freshly baked loaves to fully cool before slicing. For most breads, this means at least an hour of patient watching.

Photo By Tim Nauman

Here we are following the time-tested method of creating pre-doughs that is discussed at length in Peter Reinhart’s Whole Grain Breads. The recipe is rather adaptable. A little extra fat creates a soft, airy crumb and slows staling; honey sweetens; buttermilk adds acidity and a pleasant tang; and orange juice tempers the faint bitterness in whole wheat without adding orange flavor. None of these things, however, is necessary for good bread. To keep things super-simple and super-cheap, omit everything except the flour, yeast, salt and water, and substitute water for the other liquids.

If you’re not accustomed to eating 100 percent whole-grain foods, you may want to substitute unbleached bread flour for a portion of the whole-wheat flour. Keep in mind that whole-wheat flour absorbs more liquid than white flour, so reduce the liquid somewhat if using white flour. You can always add more water later.

Homemade Whole-Grain Bread Recipe

Makes a 1-pound loaf.

Sponge
1 3/4 cups (8 ounces) whole-wheat flour
1/4 tsp (.03 ounces) instant yeast
3/4 cup (6 ounces) cool water

Soaker
8 ounces whole-wheat flour, OR 1/4 cup (2 ounces) whole-wheat flour PLUS 6 ounces combined total cooked and uncooked grains (see our Cooking Grains chart)
1/2 tsp (0.14 ounces) kosher or sea salt
1/2 to 2/3 cup (4 to 5 ounces) buttermilk or yogurt (wet grains require less liquid than dry grains)
2 tbsp (1 ounce) orange juice

Final Dough
All of Sponge recipe
All of Soaker recipe
1 tsp (1/8 ounce) salt
2 1/4 tsp (1/4 ounce; 1 standard packet) instant yeast
1 tbsp (1/2 ounce) unsalted butter, softened
2 tbsp (1 ounce) honey
Extra flour and water for adjustments

charene
11/21/2017 8:05:10 PM

Gotta say, it was strange adding dry yeast and salt to a dough like that, but it worked. The weight of flour depends on the flour, and for me 8oz was 1.5cups, so my loaf was a little on the small side. The result wasn't really better or worse than my usual, but it was much cleaner (ie., non sticky), and that made it seem easier.

charene
11/21/2017 8:02:41 PM

Gotta say, as a baker for a number of years, it was REALLY strange to put dry yeast and salt into a dough like that, but it worked. The weight of flour depends on the flour, for me it was 8oz per 1.5cups. The loaf was on the small side. The results were no better or worse than my usual recipe, but I have to admit it was the "cleanest", most non-sticky dough ever, and that made it seem easier.

charene
11/21/2017 7:58:53 PM

Gotta say, as a baker for a number of years, it was REALLY strange to put dry yeast and salt into a dough like that, but it worked. The weight of flour depenfds on the flour, for me it was 8oz per 1.5cups. The results were no better or worse than my usual recipe, but I have to admit it was the "cleanest", most non-sticky dough ever, and that made it seem easier.

charlene_elizabeth
11/21/2017 7:58:51 PM

Gotta say, it's really strange to put dry yeast and salt into a dough like that, but it worked...though not any better than my usual recipe. The weight of flour will depend on the flour, for me 8oz was 1.5 cups. My changes were: used only 1T of agave syrup for sweetener. The advantage to this method is: I've never had a cleaner, more non-sticky dough, and that made it seem easier. Used almost no extra flour or water.

mrsjaggar
12/5/2016 11:19:09 AM

I make this bread on a weekly basis. It is not hard, and I always double the recipe to feed my family. I use the cup measurements instead of the weight, and, other than adding a tad bit more liquid to the sponge, make everything as is. It is our favorite!

mrsjaggar
12/5/2016 11:19:04 AM

mrsjaggar
12/5/2016 11:18:59 AM

grainger
2/1/2016 8:09:17 AM

One must need to be a very seasoned baker, perhaps professional to pull this one off. It does not discuss grain preparation, which if cooked or soaked, adds so much addition moisture, you'll need at least another cup and a half of flour. Its been my experience, imbalancing the recipe this much will doom the outcome. Too many steps and variables to assure outcome. While I'm awaiting the third rise, I have lost hope for anything but a delicious smelling lump of dough, of unknown consistency, when baked. With all due respect, a recipe for people that have a weekend to baske one loak of bread. I am a bit envious of anyone who has this much time.

col
8/28/2014 5:46:52 PM

I have tried this recipe on three occasions and very impressed,I would like to be educated on a couple of points. Firstly I do not have a mixer, so I have to rely on either hand kneading (difficult to combine sponge and soaker) or using the dough cycle on a bread machine; very slack with commercial flour, any tips would be welcome. Secondly, the first two times I used commercial wholemeal flour, and baked in my Romertopf, it resulted in a tasty, moist loaf, dough was a little slack. Second time I baked freeform, still happy but did not get as much spring. Third time I ground my own wheat, initially it was pretty dry but eventually as the water was absorbed it improved, this time also in the Romertopf, not as much spring as the first time, in fact if anything it shrank; needs more water?? Last questions; will Olive oil satisfactorily replace the butter? What is the advantage of the sponge and soaker method in this recipe, what would the difference be if the ingredients in both those were soaked together overnight or longer? In the past when baking 50/50 wholemeal and white flour I have soaked the wholemeal separately overnight. I like this recipe and intend to use it as my regular bread. All comments welcome. Incidentally there has been some debate here re the amount of flour, the recipe states that it makes a one pound loaf, so the stated ingredients appear correct 8 oz x 2 is 16oz= I pound which is the volume I have been using, with maybe a spoonful or so of more water.

foodieinside
6/5/2014 12:42:23 AM

That's a great unique dish from my point of view. In fact, I have been relying on the most http://gourmed.com/recipes/ in the choice of bread. This was one quite a unique recipe to eat for me.

pollkat
6/21/2013 12:31:17 PM

I've been trying to see the "Cooking Grains Chart" listed above, but every time I click on it, it simply brings me back to the recipe. Anyone know what other grains can be used in this recipe? Thanks

pamela davis
2/21/2013 5:24:03 AM

I think there may be an editing mistake in this recipe! I am wondering why you recommend refrigerating the sponge immediately after mixing it and keep the soaker at room temp for a day. It seems the sponge should be at room temp to allow it to develop as for sourdough, and the soaker should be refrigerated to keep the cooked and wet grains from spoiling. I am an experienced bread maker (used my own starter for the sponge) and was confused by the method, so when I made the bread I left both mixtures out for a few hours, then refrigerated over night, then took out to warm up before I mixed it up for rising. I kneaded by hand throughout the process. It turned out great, but I will use white flour for the sponge next time.

joanne cipolla-dennis
1/27/2013 7:30:42 PM

GREAT article on bread making..bought the mag at Green star in Ithaca NY..now sharing it on facebook ! thanks for a great mag

michelle murray
12/9/2012 5:30:34 AM

Good comments....do you really need a stand mixer or can you just knead the bread?

law tyler
12/7/2012 10:49:57 PM

There is a typo in the recipe online and in the mag. It states "1 3/4 cups(8 ounces) whole wheat flour." It should read-1 3/4 cups(14ounces) whole wheat flour.

deborah jacques
12/7/2012 4:40:47 AM

You're thinking of liquid measure to get 8oz/cup. I checked conversions, and actually, 8 oz of whole wheat flour would be 1.9 cups! Wow!!! In doing further research on using a biga, what's missing is instructions saying that it will be very shaggy at first, but kneading will work that moisture into the flour--and it will take several minutes to get there. After adding extra liquid to both the biga and the soaker (it didn't look wet enough either), I wound up with a very moist loaf. Good flavor, and a lot sweeter than I expected, but very moist and chewy! I'll try it again, using the prescribed amounts more closely, and see what happens.

anonymous
12/6/2012 1:20:42 AM

Deborah, Same problem, because 1-3/4 cups of flour is not 8 oz as stated in the recipe! 1-3/4 cups is 8oz +6oz=14oz So I think there is 1cup(8oz) flour in the sponge, the same as there is 1cup(8oz) in the soaker. Let me know what you think. Law Tyler p.s. This assumes that someone has not confused volume with weight in the original recipe...

deborah jacques
12/2/2012 8:05:10 PM

I've just begun making this loaf, and there is NO way that 3/4 cup water will even moisten 1-3/4 cups of whole wheat flour unless it's got a lot more moisture in it already than mine does. I had to add a few tablespoons of water just to make a REALLY stiff dough that no dough hook would manage at all. I've been making bread using various techniques for more than a few years, so I can adapt--but wanted to let others know that adaptation may well be necessary.

mother earth news fair

MOTHER EARTH NEWS FAIR

Feb. 17-18, 2018
Belton, Texas

More than 150 workshops, great deals from more than 200 exhibitors, off-stage demos, hands-on workshops, and great food!

LEARN MORE