- 1 15-oz. can pumpkin (not pie filling)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 4 tablespoons pure maple syrup 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon mixed pumpkin pie spice
- Mix everything together in a small but deep saucepan.
- Bring slowly to a boil and then place on a diffuser if possible.
- Cook very slowly over low heat for 1/2 hour.
- Stir often and cover with a lid left slightly ajar to allow steam to escape. This jam will spit badly since it is quite thick to start with.
- Seal in sterile jars or cool and refrigerate until used.
More from Home Canning and Preserving:
Excerpt published from Home Canning and Preserving: Putting Up Small-Batch Jams, Jellies, Pickles, Chutneys, Relishes, and More by Janet Cooper with permission from Skyhorse Publishing.
Home Canning and Preserving (Skyhorse, 2014), by Janet Cooper, is a recipe book and how-to for preserving fruits, veggies, and meat at home. Cooper has been canning and preserving since a young age, learning many methods and recipes from her mother who has a Pennsylvania Dutch background. This excerpt is a recipe for Pumpkin Pie Butter.