Welcome to the Farm (Lyons Press, 2017) by Shaye Elliott, is a fully illustrated and detailed guide to growing your own amazing food right in your own backyard. She offers a wide range of recipes, from jam and jellies to growing fields of organic fruits and veggies. The following excerpt is her recipe for Homemade Chorizo.
I love it when the chorizo gets crispy and brown in the frying pan. That’s my kryptonite right there.
• 1 large onion
• 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
• 1 tablespoon cumin
• 1 tablespoon coriander
• 2 bay leaves
• 5 cloves
• 2 allspice berries
• 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
• 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 dried chile (or 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes)
• 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
• 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
• 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
• 5 cloves garlic
• Red wine
1. Put the ground pork in a large bowl. Set aside. Ignore the pork. Let the pork be.
2. Combine the onion, vinegar, cumin, coriander, bay leaves, cloves, allspice berries, cinnamon, oregano, parsley, salt, chile, pepper, paprikas, and garlic together in a food processor or high-powered blender.
3. Blend the ingredients until smooth, adding red wine as necessary to ensure it all gets blended well together.
4. Combine the sauce and pork. Mix together.
5. Oh, by the way, that’s it! You’ve now made chorizo. All that’s left is to fry it up and enjoy! You can cook it as is, mold it into patties, or put it through a sausage stuffer to shape it into links.
More from: Welcome to the Farm
Reprinted with permission from Welcome to the Farm, by Shaye Elliott and published by Lyons Press, 2017.