This Dark Gingerbread Recipe is a delicious vegetarian dessert using all natural ingredients.
A moist and tender dark-black gingerbread which is very simple to make. Serve it with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. Or serve it with a big bowl of yogurt fruit salad for a summer dinner.
1/3 cup butter
3/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup honey
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 tsp dry ginger
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1. Put the butter, molasses and honey in a pot and cook until they boil.
2. Remove from the heat, add the baking soda and beat vigorously with a wooden spoon.
3. Add the buttermilk and the egg. Then mix in the salt, ginger and flour.
4. Pour the batter into an assortment of buttered pans, filling each about two-thirds full.
5. Bake in a 350 degrees Fahrenheit oven for about 15 minutes or until the centers of the cakes are firm.
Variation: Use whole wheat bread flour and add 1 cup of chopped raisins. This is more like bread and is very good with Cheddar cheese.
Yield: Serves 6 to 8
From Wings of Life: Vegetarian Cookery by Julie Jordan, copyright 1976 by the author and reprinted with the permission of The Crossing Press, Trumansburg, New York 14886.
Read more about homemade vegetarian desserts: Using Natural Baking Ingredients to Create Healthy Vegetarian Desserts.
Whether you want to learn how to grow and raise your own food, build your own root cellar, or create a green dream home, come out and learn everything you need to know — and then some!LEARN MORE
At MOTHER EARTH NEWS, we are dedicated to conserving our planet's natural resources while helping you conserve your financial resources. You'll find tips for slashing heating bills, growing fresh, natural produce at home, and more. That's why we want you to save money and trees by subscribing through our earth-friendly automatic renewal savings plan. By paying with a credit card, you save an additional $5 and get 6 issues of MOTHER EARTH NEWS for only $12.95 (USA only).
You may also use the Bill Me option and pay $17.95 for 6 issues.