This Dark Gingerbread Recipe is a healthy vegetarian dessert using natural baking ingredients.
This Dark Gingerbread Recipe is a healthy dessert your family will love.
Photo by Fotolia/miuda_21
This Dark Gingerbread Recipe is a delicious vegetarian dessert using all natural ingredients.
A moist and tender dark-black gingerbread which is very simple to make. Serve it with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. Or serve it with a big bowl of yogurt fruit salad for a summer dinner.
1/3 cup butter
3/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup honey
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 tsp dry ginger
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1. Put the butter, molasses and honey in a pot and cook until they boil.
2. Remove from the heat, add the baking soda and beat vigorously with a wooden spoon.
3. Add the buttermilk and the egg. Then mix in the salt, ginger and flour.
4. Pour the batter into an assortment of buttered pans, filling each about two-thirds full.
5. Bake in a 350 degrees Fahrenheit oven for about 15 minutes or until the centers of the cakes are firm.
Variation: Use whole wheat bread flour and add 1 cup of chopped raisins. This is more like bread and is very good with Cheddar cheese.
Yield: Serves 6 to 8
From Wings of Life: Vegetarian Cookery by Julie Jordan, copyright 1976 by the author and reprinted with the permission of The Crossing Press, Trumansburg, New York 14886.
Read more about homemade vegetarian desserts: Using Natural Baking Ingredients to Create Healthy Vegetarian Desserts.
More than 150 workshops, great deals from more than 200 exhibitors, off-stage demos, inspirational keynotes, and great food!LEARN MORE