- 2 cups milk kefir
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 small green onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- Place the kefir in a fine-mesh strainer, poised over a bowl, and cover it with a coffee filter. Let it sit for 2 to 3 hours to allow some of the whey to separate.
- Combine the garlic and onions in a small bowl, and then stir in the salt, pepper, paprika, and cumin.
- Mix in the strained kefir.
- Put the cucumber slices into a jar, and pour the kefir mixture over them. Mix well.
- Put the salad in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. It’s best served cold.
Cucumbers are both delicious and nutritious. Because of their high water content, they’re great for eliminating toxins and keeping the body hydrated. Cucumbers are also a good source of vitamins and minerals. They can be consumed in many different ways, but perhaps one of the best is in this salad.
Storage note: This is best eaten right away, but it can be stored in the refrigerator in a sealed container for a few days.
Learn more about kefir here.
Recipe reprinted from Cultured Food in a Jarby Donna Schwenk (Hay House).