If you’ve been looking for the perfect all-natural, organic shampoo, moisturizer or anti-aging serum, Natural Beauty Alchemy (The Countryman Press, 2015) by Fifi M. Maacaron, is for you. Over 100 recipes for all-natural beauty products are included, using simple ingredients like yogurt, coconut oil, oats and tea, and suitable for both beginners and experienced DIY beauty enthusiasts. The following natural heel balm recipe is from Chapter 14, “Foot and Heel Care.”
You can purchase this book from the MOTHER EARTH NEWS store: Natural Beauty Alchemy.
The skin that covers the heels is thick and presents a strong barrier to moisturizers and creams. Regular foot care, including the use of a pumice stone, and a powerful balm are important to maintain soft heels.
• 1 ounce (30 ml) grated beeswax (or pellets)
• 1 ounce (30 ml) shea butter
• 3 ounces (100 ml) almond oil
• 2 ounces (60 ml) olive oil
• 1/2 teaspoon lavender essential oil
1. In a double boiler, melt the beeswax and shea butter.
2. In another double boiler, heat the almond and olive oils, bringing both mixtures to a similar temperature (100–120 degrees F). Measure this using a candy thermometer. Turn off the heat under the oils and slowly pour them into the beeswax mixture, whisking constantly.
3. Turn off the heat under the beeswax, add the lavender essential oil, and continue whisking.
4. Transfer the mixture to a tin box or glass jar, pouring slowly to release any trapped air. Wait for the balm to reach room temperature before sealing the lid. Set aside to solidify.
5. Apply a quarter-size amount of balm to each foot and rub it all over your feet, focusing on the heel area. Rub a small amount of balm on your heels for a minute or two to improve its penetration through the skin. Wear spa socks to help keep the feet soft and moisturized.
Reprinted with permission from Natural Beauty Alchemy: Make Your Own Organic Cleansers, Creams, Serums, Shampoos, Balms, and More by Fifi M. Maacaron and published by The Countryman Press, 2015. Buy this book from our store: Natural Beauty Alchemy.
Whether you want to learn how to grow and raise your own food, build your own root cellar, or create a green dream home, come out and learn everything you need to know — and then some!LEARN MORE
At MOTHER EARTH NEWS, we are dedicated to conserving our planet's natural resources while helping you conserve your financial resources. You'll find tips for slashing heating bills, growing fresh, natural produce at home, and more. That's why we want you to save money and trees by subscribing through our earth-friendly automatic renewal savings plan. By paying with a credit card, you save an additional $5 and get 6 issues of MOTHER EARTH NEWS for only $12.95 (USA only).
You may also use the Bill Me option and pay $17.95 for 6 issues.