Different insects are repelled by different ingredients. You can make your own natural repellent by diluting essential oils in alcohol, witch hazel, or a gentle vegetable oil, such as almond, sunflower, or jojoba. If it’s your first time using one of the essential oils listed below, test a small amount of the finished recipe on the back of your hand before applying elsewhere.
Yield: 2 ounces
- 1/4 cup alcohol, witch hazel, or oil
- 10 to 20 drops selected essential oil:
- Cinnamon repels mosquitoes
- Eucalyptus repels mosquitoes, ticks, and lice
- Citronella repels mosquitoes, flies
- Orange repels fleas
- Geranium repels mosquitoes, ticks, and lice
- Combine ingredients and pour into a clean, dry container.
- To use, spray or dab onto your exposed skin or clothing.
Find more helpful recipes in Natural Insect Repellents.