In The Baking Soda Companion (Countryman Press, 2018), Suzy Scherr offers her favorite baking soda secrets to make your everyday life a little brighter. With 75 recipes for cooking, beauty, cleaning, and more, Scherr combines the best baking soda tips into one comprehensive household guide. The following excerpt is her baking soda secret for a home air freshener.
I love a fragranced room. Sicilian tangerine- scented candles, cucumber and lotus flower–infused sticks, English pear and freesia room spray . . . I have dropped some bank in the name of home fragrance. Although, as much as I love using air fresheners— and let’s be clear: I LOVE them— I’ve come to the profound realization that many of my beloved scents (yes, even you, Japanese Black Currant) simply mask odors instead of actually eradicating them. When I have to contend with a considerable stench— especially, of the kitcheny or bathroomy variety— I use an air freshener made with baking soda, which actually neutralizes bad smells (see: your fridge). It’s incredibly easy to put together and can even be customized to appeal to those of us who need a little orange blossom and cedar leaf in our lives. This room freshener continually emits a light scent while the baking soda works to absorb any unwanted odors. When you need more fragrance, just give it a little shake!
Ingredients:• 1/2 cup baking soda
• 15 to 25 drops essential oil(s) of your choice
• A small jar with a perforated lid, such as a clean, empty parmesan shaker or a 1/2- pint mason jar with a pin- pricked piece of card stock in place of the lid— secure it with the mason jar ring
1. Combine baking soda essential oil(s) in the prepared jar. With your hand over the lid’s holes, shake well to evenly distribute the oils.
2. Decorate, if you like.
3. Place your air freshener jar anywhere you want to control odors, such as bathrooms, trash areas, closets, etc.
4. Shake your air freshener jar frequently to keep the scent activated. If you notice that the fragrance starts to fade, simply add 4 to 5 drops of additional essential oil to jar.