This tress-cleansing concoction will seem thinner than most store-bought shampoos, but the effectiveness will be equivalent. Yield: 4 ounces.
• 1/4 cup water
• 1/4 cup liquid castile soap, such as Dr. Bronner’s
• 1/2 tsp light vegetable oil (omit if you have oily hair)
Mix all ingredients in a small bowl. Pour the shampoo into a clean squeeze bottle or empty shampoo bottle. Apply to wet hair. If enhanced with egg, be sure to rinse with cool water.
• For dry hair, mix 1 tablespoon of honey with 1 tablespoon of Basic Shampoo.
• For oily hair, mix 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice with 1 cup of Basic Shampoo.
• For normal hair, mix 1 raw egg with 1 tablespoon of Basic Shampoo.
Interested in more low-cost recipes for toiletries? Read Homemade Bath Products: Shampoo, Deodorant and Toothpaste.
Whether you want to learn how to grow and raise your own food, build your own root cellar, or create a green dream home, come out and learn everything you need to know — and then some!LEARN MORE
At MOTHER EARTH NEWS, we are dedicated to conserving our planet's natural resources while helping you conserve your financial resources. You'll find tips for slashing heating bills, growing fresh, natural produce at home, and more. That's why we want you to save money and trees by subscribing through our earth-friendly automatic renewal savings plan. By paying with a credit card, you save an additional $5 and get 6 issues of MOTHER EARTH NEWS for only $12.95 (USA only).
You may also use the Bill Me option and pay $17.95 for 6 issues.