It truly doesn’t get much easier than this Basic Shampoo recipe.
Depending on your hair type, you can improve the Basic Shampoo recipe by adding honey, lemon juice or a farm-fresh egg.
Photo by Hannah Kincaid
This tress-cleansing concoction will seem thinner than most store-bought shampoos, but the effectiveness will be equivalent. Yield: 4 ounces.
• 1/4 cup water
• 1/4 cup liquid castile soap, such as Dr. Bronner’s
• 1/2 tsp light vegetable oil (omit if you have oily hair)
Mix all ingredients in a small bowl. Pour the shampoo into a clean squeeze bottle or empty shampoo bottle. Apply to wet hair. If enhanced with egg, be sure to rinse with cool water.
• For dry hair, mix 1 tablespoon of honey with 1 tablespoon of Basic Shampoo.
• For oily hair, mix 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice with 1 cup of Basic Shampoo.
• For normal hair, mix 1 raw egg with 1 tablespoon of Basic Shampoo.
Interested in more low-cost recipes for toiletries? Read Homemade Bath Products: Shampoo, Deodorant and Toothpaste.
More than 150 workshops, great deals from more than 200 exhibitors, off-stage demos, inspirational keynotes, and great food!LEARN MORE