Cracked tabletops are a common problem with older pieces of furniture that can be repaired quickly and easily with this simple regluing method.
By Jeff Jewitt
Cover courtesy The Taunton Press
Old furniture, whether a family heirloom or consignment shop find, is often better made than anything you can buy today. Transform your old or new-to-you furniture into beautiful, functional pieces with Refinishing Furniture Made Simple (The Taunton Press, 2012) by Jeff Jewitt. Learn how to reglue tabletops to repair spilt, cracked or broke surfaces.
This book can be purchased from the MOTHER EARTH NEWS store: Refinishing Furniture Made Simple.
This small table has a typical problem—the top has split along the old glue joint.
1. Remove the top. The screws that hold the top to the base will prevent the clamps from closing the open joint, so you’ll need to take the top off. Notice how the top comes off in two pieces.
2. Scrape off all the old glue.
3. Sand the joint with 120-grit sandpaper using a long block of wood to help stabilize the sandpaper and to prevent deforming the edge. Clean off the debris with clean water. Do a quick test-clamp (without glue) to check that the fit is snug.
4. Apply a thin bead of glue using your finger to spread it.
5. Clamp the top together using pipe or strong bar clamps. The glue sometimes makes the two parts slip out of position, so use two clamps on either end to get the top perfectly flat.
Reprinted with permission from Refinishing Furniture Made Simple by Jeff Jewitt and published by The Taunton Press, 2012. Photographs by Gary Junken. Purchase this book from our store: Refinishing Furniture Made Simple.
At MOTHER EARTH NEWS for 50 years and counting, we are dedicated to conserving our planet's natural resources while helping you conserve your financial resources. You'll find tips for slashing heating bills, growing fresh, natural produce at home, and more. That's why we want you to save money and trees by subscribing through our earth-friendly automatic renewal savings plan. By paying with a credit card, you save an additional $5 and get 6 issues of MOTHER EARTH NEWS for only $12.95 (USA only).
You may also use the Bill Me option and pay $17.95 for 6 issues.