Real Food

Savor the flavors of everyday real food, fresh from the garden or stored on your pantry shelves.

How to Freeze Peppers

8/26/2014 8:51:00 AM

Tags: peppers, freezing, food preservation, Oklahoma, Monica Sharrock

Do you have an abundance of fresh peppers? If so, this simple freezer preservation method may be for you.

Directions

1. For bell peppers, take and slice off all sides. For me, this usually is four slices per pepper. For banana peppers, I usually slice from the bottom, making little rings. You can also follow this method with bell peppers, for a pretty look.

p

2. Place slices in a freezer-safe quart bag, taking care to make sure as much air is out as possible.

plate

3. Add quart bags to a gallon freezer-safe bag. Place in freezer.

pp

NOTE: You will be able to add a few quart bags to one gallon bag. Adding quart bags to a gallon bag keeps the peppers extra freezer-safe and makes storage handier.

This is such a simple method to preserve peppers. My favorite part about it is that I can pull out a not-yet-full quart bag from the freezer and add pepper slices as I have them ready. Sometimes, I only have slices from a couple of peppers to start a quart bag with. Using this technique though, I can add to my stores as needed. The beauty of this is that it’s a very non-overwhelming way to stay afloat of your food preservation, and you don’t have to wait until you have tons of peppers to do something with them.

Using Your Frozen Peppers

Simply remove desired amount of pepper slices from a quart bag. Reseal the quart bag immediately and return it to the freezer. Rinse the peppers with warm water, and it will quickly thaw them out. You can even place them in a bowl of warm of water for a few minutes, if desired. Take your peppers and chop into tiny pieces or long strips, depending on your need. Add to chili, spaghetti, soup, etc.

Do All Peppers Start Out Green?

You can eat peppers at any stage of growth, but there color determines how ripe they are and, theref...

Finding A Homestead - Considerations

Outlining our process for locating a suitable location for finding a new homestead.

Soup Swap!

Soup swaps are a great way to fill your freezer with real food.

Freezer Pleaser: Launching an Eco-Friendly Way to Keep Ice Cream Cold

Ben & Jerry's teams up with Greenpeace to bring the U.S. a cleaner way of freezing food, especia...

tgoing04
9/1/2014 10:51:14 PM
Another process that I have had great success with: I make my stuffed pepper mix and fill the peppers: bell peppers, banana peppers or hot peppers. When I need them it is easy to take them out, thaw, steam and have an easy meal. I also slice up some:green peppers, banana peppers, hot peppers( not cayenne) and green onions, dehydrate them and store them each in gallon jars for the winter. just put them in a small amount of water to rehydrate and use in salads, stews, over potatoes, etc.

Suzanne
9/1/2014 9:35:16 PM
I just wash the whole pepper and dry it with paper towel then place the whole pepper in a quart or gallon bag. Whenever I need a piece I take one pepper out or ever how many I need the put them in another zip lock bag and smash the frozen ones with the smooth side of a meat tenderizer hammer. They break up in small pieces then I throw away the seeds. I've done this for years and have had no trouble with them going bad.

KARENC
9/1/2014 12:55:30 PM
I just cut mine in half horizontally and clean them, keeping them whole. I then freeze them in gallon bags. This way I have halved peppers to stuff, and if I want to use them for other stuff, they are easily cut when frozen. I use them so quickly, they never have time to get freezer burn. I just can't grow enough of peppers or broccoli to do us all year, sigh. Don't try to can them; they get too mushy.

RENEEG
9/1/2014 12:26:28 PM
If you want more CRUNCH in your peppers (more like fresh) - cut them in chunks and make a single layer on a cookie sheet and place into the freezer until completely frozen. THEN, place them into a quart or gallon baggie. (Make sure that the peppers are DRY before freezing them.) To restore, remove the ones you want and allow them to come to room temp (or place in refrigerator to defrost) - remove any edges that look "tired" - and BINGO - put them in a salad, etc. No one would know that they were frozen.

GW
9/1/2014 11:05:01 AM
I used to freeze peppers in this manner. But I have been using our seal-a-meal, vacuum system for the past several years to freeze peppers. My wife and I both love them and ours usually really come in during the very late summer and early fall, so we had more peppers than we could use. Vacuum sealing works very well for the peppers we intend to cook with, and we enjoy them in chili, and sauces. This works really well for the hot peppers. Which I sometimes think get a bit hotter from the freezing process. I can seal them in small packages so I don't have to thaw out anymore than we will use. I had not thought about putting the small packages in a larger zip lock freezer bag, but I will now. As for the peppers I enjoy so much on my tossed salad, I'll still make a visit to the grocery store.

CookieWoman
9/1/2014 9:58:14 AM
I love peppers and i have been freezing them for years this way and you can also freeze onions the same way if you want!!So thanks for sharing this recipe that i already knew but didn't know anyone else wanted to freeze them or i would have posted it a long time ago!! Thanks For Your Post & Thanks For Letting Others Know How To Do This I Know It Will Help Them !!

JoS
9/1/2014 7:24:43 AM
I have used this method for many years and it works wonderfully well. There is nothing better than needing some peppers during the winter and pulling them out of the freezer ready to go! The fact that they were frozen does not detract from their flavor or usefulness.