What to Plant Now

A single region can contain multiple microclimates, so to help you get the most accurate planting times for your garden crops, we’ve created this What to Plant Now tool. The tool uses your ZIP code to access the weather data for your exact location, and then gives you a recommended planting window for 30 common garden crops.

The blue line represents the window in which you can start seeds indoors, the green line tells you when you can plant transplants or sow seeds outdoors, and the orange line represents the expected harvest period for each crop. You can print out a handy planting calendar after you enter your information. Then, the What to Plant Now tool even sends you email reminders when it’s time to plant your crops.

Click on “View Planting Dates” to get started.

More Great Gardening Resources

In addition to our What to Plant Now tool, please take a look at some of our other popular gardening tools and resources:

Vegetable Garden Planner: This highly acclaimed online tool makes it simple to sketch out your growing areas, add plants and rearrange them to get the perfect layout. After you select the crops you want to grow, the Planner software uses an extensive database of about 200 crops and nearly 5,000 weather stations to recommend planting times based on average frost dates for your ZIP code.

Grow Planner app: This app takes the amazing functionality of the Vegetable Garden Planner to the iPad platform, making it easy to take your garden plans right out into the garden with you.

When to Plant app: If you like the streamlined planting calendar provided via the What to Plant Now tool, you will really love this easy-to-use iPhone app, which formats planting information for about 200 crops in a similar format.

Crop Growing Guides: Get clear, concise advice on how to grow 51 crops, from classics such as tomatoes to staples such as grains. These guides include cooking suggestions, harvesting tips and organic pest-control advice, in addition to planting and growing basics.

Garden Know-How series: Learn food-growing essentials from award-winning garden writer Barbara Pleasant. The many articles in this series cover everything from weeding, watering and season extension to soil fertility and composting.

Organic Pest Control series: Dealing with pest pressure in your garden? Get info on the main garden pests, several beneficial insects, and the best natural pest control options.

Seed and Plant FinderThis custom online tool lets you search the websites of more than 500 mail-order seed companies and nurseries, so you can find a specific plant variety or species efficiently.

Directory of Mail-Order Seed and Plant Companies: Great new seed companies are popping up all over these days, and our directory profiles each company and helps you find the ones located near you.

jackman30
7/11/2014 1:05:41 AM
am near Gratiot, I have been square foot gardening for 30 years off and on, love it but not sure how to do consecutive planting. Any suggestions http://www.amazon.com/Vitamin-C-Serum-For-Face-Anti-Wrinkle/dp/B00GWT8UWI

JoyOfGardening
3/20/2014 11:44:21 AM
If you don't want to build raised beds to do SQF, lay the bags of Mel's Mix or Gardener's Gold (or similar potting mix) right on the ground. Simply cut open the bag leaving just the sides and bottom, poke a few drainage holes near the bottom and plant directly in the bag!

Zoia
3/16/2014 7:17:17 PM
Hi, I just I met a someone who's hobby is gardening and gave me your information. I live in New York and have a balcony that I use tp have my mini flower garden some summers. I love nature- and plants and flowers, etc etc. I am looking to do something different and want to grow some vegetables in addition to flowering plants. Any suggestions where to begin? Thanks

Jim
2/7/2014 1:22:01 PM
for my square foot garden boxes i use a template one foot square with 3/4 inch holes with 3 inch centers working from the center of the template out this gives me anywhere from one plant to 3 inch spacing between plants then i flip it and plant again.

Rhonda
1/25/2014 8:36:35 PM
Max--I've been using variations on square foot gardening for almost 10 years now, and it makes for very easy record keeping and care, as well as ease in telling seedling (comes up in the grid pattern) from weed (not on the grid). As for the expense--the plank sides are certainly easiest, but I've also used logs, bricks, and stones for the raised bed sides, as well as always checking for lumber ends whenever I'm in Home Depot or Lowes. And, you can actually just cut away the turf (put it into your compost pile), then loosen the existing soil, mixing in plenty of compost or "Mel's Mix"--you can simply keep the bed raked up above ground level, with no sides. If you do that, try using discarded venetian blind slats or wood strips as the square foot dividers (instead of string). John Seymour's "The Self-Sufficient Gardener" calls the raised beds without sides, "deep beds."

Max
1/24/2014 3:12:57 PM
Years ago I watched The Square Foot Gardener on TV. I have always wanted to set up a garden in that vein, but just never got to it......mainly due to the cost of getting started with all the materials needed to construct the raised garden boxes. BUT....now I have access to lots of room and am thinking about doing the square foot type gardening without the raised boxes.....My question is....will this work??

TIMS
1/24/2014 1:37:14 PM
Tomato = tomatodirt.com great info.

fowler
1/24/2014 11:50:46 AM
I have entered my information and tried to print MY planting calendar twice, both times the only thing that printed was the above example. How can I get MY calendar?

Diane
1/22/2014 2:03:23 PM
I am near Gratiot, I have been square foot gardening for 30 years off and on, love it but not sure how to do consecutive planting. Any suggestions?

kb
12/30/2013 12:55:21 AM
hi i am in ghana and i want to receive tips on tomato growing